Apple buys sleep tracking company Beddit

Jos

Staff

Apple has acquired Finnish sleep tracking hardware and software company Beddit, a move that suggests this could be an area of focus for the company’s next smartwatch. Terms of the deal were not disclosed but Beddit confirmed the acquisition in a short post on its website, while also giving notice to customers that their data will now be collected in accordance with Apple's privacy policy.

Apple sells the Beddit 3 Sleep Monitor for $150 in its store. The device is a sensor-equipped strip that slides under a bed sheet and uses a technique called ballistocardiography (BCG) to measure the mechanical activity of the heart, lungs, and other body functions. It can also track data like sleep time and efficiency, respiration, movement, snoring, room temperature, and room humidity.

Since this is not a ‘wearable’ sleep tracker the main advantage is that you don’t need to remember to use it or charge it — Apple Watch users normally need to charge their devices at night. All the gathered data is presented in a companion app which reportedly provides "personalized insights" and "customizable sleep coaching" to help users improve their sleep habits.

It’s not immediately clear if Apple has plans to continue selling the device, integrate some of its technology into future products or is mainly looking to hire the talent behind the company. TechCrunch’s sources say that current customers will be able to access its products and services support for the foreseeable future.

Permalink to story.

The only people who'd take an interest in such a thing are those who have sleeping disorders. I'm sure glad I'm not one of the many who have. Hell, I don't even use the sleep measuring function on my activity tracker, I take that device off before I go to bed. To me it's a total waste but some seem fascinated by it.

Back