Apple confirms iPad Wi-Fi issues, suggests fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

The much anticipated iPad debuted with much fanfare last weekend, selling over 300,000 units in just a couple of days. However, as it is sometimes the case with many big launches, things didn't exactly go without a hitch. It seems some early iPad owners have been experiencing wireless connectivity issues ranging from incredibly weak signals to the inability to join networks from standby.

At first it was thought the problem involved the positioning of the antenna on the back of the device. But in a recent knowledge base article, Apple has come forward with an explanation and is assuring customers that this has nothing to do with the iPad hardware itself. Instead, the company claims it is third-party dual-band routers that are causing the issue and suggests a fairly simple workaround: creating separate names for different Wi-Fi bands (add a G to the 802.11b/g network name and an N to the 802.11n, for example) and make sure they have the same security settings.

If that doesn't work the article suggests resetting the iPad's network settings under the following file path: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Users are also advised to make sure they are running up-to-date wireless router software and that they are within range. If you're one of the unlucky few having iPad connectivity issues, be sure to give these tips a try and let us know how all goes in the comments.

Permalink to story.

hmm; yes routers can support multiple modes, but I've never seen one that allows separate settings for G vs N mode; have you? please post a followup for specific brand/model you know of -- very interested. TNX

I love it when we have so many devices out that use wifi without that much of a hitch but when Apple comes out with there new product clearly all of the wireless routers are the problem and not the ipad. As an engineer when you go about debugging something you try and get the problem down to one thing. A good test to see that it is a problem with the ipad would be to test and make sure other devices work with the router. Since other devices work with the router than clearly the problem is with the ipad and not the other way around. Apple customers are such big fanboys that they are probably going to believe that all routers are the problem and not there ipad.

I am sure in rev 2 they will fix the issues with the antenna.

I had the same issue with recently jail-broken Iphone 3g, I had to reset network settings on my iphone - it helped

jobeard said:
hmm; yes routers can support multiple modes, but I've never seen one that allows separate settings for G vs N mode; have you? please post a followup for specific brand/model you know of -- very interested. TNX

Nope, never seen one. Hate to be the one to bring a conspiracy theory, but I guess the entire "knowledge" article by Apple was written to detract attention from the last phrase "if the issue persists reset the network settings in the iPad." Can you imagine leading with that phrase? :D

Man whats up with Apple and wireless the past few years? They need to end whatever contract that supplies their wi-fi hardware.

jobeard said:

My Linksys/Cisco WRT610N has separate SSID's for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz available right out of the box. Essentially that's what they're asking for. Probably DD-WRT has this capability for other upgradable dual-band routers?

Guest said:
I am sure in rev 2 they will fix the issues with the antenna.

Apple is plagued with a history of network issues. I come from a 14 year long past working with and supporting Apple, Windows, NetWare and Linux computers, and I think that Apple has had the worst record for building a stable network client. Going as far back as Appletalk on the IBM processors Apple has not held up to the standards that the PC world has had for ever. And then Apple abandoned Appletalk in Snow Leopard (10.6) which they've long preferred. It was in recent news that they've just now fixed the driver issues hindering WPA2 security in their stack. Everything before that release is broken, which includes the special derivatives of iPhone OS 3.3.

So - OS-X has been out since 1999, built upon a stable network stack in BSD, and it's just coming up to standards this year. I wouldn't expect a speedy recovery, but now that Appletalk is history, maybe their priorities are finally in the right place.

Ya know, I was just wondering yesterday what glitch Apple would have with the iPad on launch, and who they would blame it on. I seem to recall bad connection issues with our original iPhones and they threw AT&T under the bus blaming their network (which was, of course, partially true), but then miraculously it was fixed with an iPhone update later. Now the iPad has issues with Wi-Fi systems that nobody else has problems with, but it's obviously the manufacturers of the network equipment, can't possibly be an Apple problem.

They are masters of public relations spin, I tell ya...

I bought two MacBook Pros in November 2009 and both have had frequent wireless connection issues right out of the box. I have never had any wireless connection issues with my windows laptops. I use an AT&T 2Wire router/modem and have done everything that I can do to correct the problem with AT&T tech support. If you search Apple's support communities under MacBook Pro you will see pages and pages of wireless connection issues that have yet to be resolved using all types of routers. Customers are getting pretty frustrated with the issue. Apple really needs to find a fix for this problem.

So Apple wants you to take your router which is working just fine with all your other wireless products in your home and they want you to change the settings to work with their product which should work right out of the box? Come on Apple, just admit you screwed up.

Repeat after me, Apple, "Opps. This is our fault. Please accept our apology while we work to fix the problem."

There...was that so hard? You have so many fanbois that nobody would really get mad. And I would say it was a stupid move telling people to change their router settings before going into the iPad and changing its settings. Now people are going to be calling the people they got their router from because they can't get their computers to connect to their router because they ended up screwing something up. Trust me, I know this. Tell people to do one little thing and they somehow end up screwing up, lol.

Funny that it is always someone elses fault when Apple products dont work ...

Come on Apple, everything from my computers running linux, and windows in diffrent flavours work with my router. Even my phone fron nokia running symbian (also ericsson mobiles) work....but its the router thats at fault because your iPad dont work? yeah .. .very likely *sigh*

Let's be honest people, where you ACTUALLY expecting something else than the usual "It's the consumer's fault!" from Apple?

maestromasada said:
And what happens when you have an apple router (if there is any) who are they going to blame? the milkman?
rofl that great :D.

Every time an apple product has troubles I laugh. It fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling :D
(except when its the G5 at work and I have to fix it.......)

My Linksys/Cisco WRT610N has separate SSID's for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz available right out of the box. Essentially that's what they're asking for. Probably DD-WRT has this capability for other upgradable dual-band routers?
thank you for your follow-up :wave:

I looked into this a little bit a couple months ago when I was router shopping, I think even with DD-WRT you can't do it, its a hardware thing rather than software.

DD-WRT only taps into what the hardware offers but disabled by the stock firmware. It can't improve the router performance only by what the hardware can or can't do. iPAd and such is good idea but they should have really give it more lab testing and UAT also before releasing to the masses. Now they have to eat what they have release.

I agreed that apple needs to correct the problem and not leave it up to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back