Apple drops the price of screen repairs for AppleCare+ customers

midian182

Staff member

Apple may have announced several new products at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium yesterday, but it failed to mention a change to company policy that will be welcomed by many butterfingered iPhone owners: it’s now cheaper to replace a cracked screen on one of the devices.

The updates, which were first spotted by 9to5Mac, relate to the company’s AppleCare+ repair program. Anyone who paid the $129 fee for Apple’s extended warranty – or $99 if you own an iPhone SE – will now have to pay just $29 to replace a shattered screen. Previously, the cost was $99 for an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus, or $79 for older models.

However, there’s a flat fee of $99 for other types of damage, regardless of iPhone model. Devices without AppleCare+ or those out of warranty cost between $129 - $149 to fix a smashed display, with additional fees for extra damage increasing the price, up to a maximum of $329.

AppleCare+ covers customers for two incidents of accidental damage, so if you’re the type of person who’s no stranger to smashing expensive smartphones, the extended warranty is likely to work out cheaper in the long run. Assuming you don’t take it to a third-party supplier who can do the repairs at a better price.

As the new iPhone 7 and 7+ is water-resistant, damage caused by liquids should be less of a concern. And now with the changes to AppleCare+, replacing the phones' screen will be a little bit cheaper, too.

Permalink to story.

Cost of an Otterbox - $35-50.
That's the part I really don't understand about some people... a friend is in the process of performing his 3rd insurance claim (at $175 a pop) on his iPhone 6 after having dropped it at a concert.

After his second claim I asked why he didn't use a case (of any kind). His response was that he likes how the phone feels without a case.

Compared to the cost of $525 for the insurance claims I'd much rather have thrown a beefy case on it and have been done with it.

Cost of an Otterbox - $35-50.
No self respecting iPhone "fashion person" would dare cover their precious iPhone in something
so "bulky" as an otterbox. I mean, come on...standing in line at the next hollywood premire, or
while walking down the street...they wouldn't dare do that.
LMAO.

No self respecting iPhone "fashion person" would dare cover their precious iPhone in something
so "bulky" as an otterbox. I mean, come on...standing in line at the next hollywood premire, or
while walking down the street...they wouldn't dare do that.
LMAO.
Otterbox made sure to leave a cutout for the Apple logo so that people still know which brand you're using when you have it up to your ear:
apl4-iph16-byo-2121-1988.jpg

That's the part I really don't understand about some people... a friend is in the process of performing his 3rd insurance claim (at $175 a pop) on his iPhone 6 after having dropped it at a concert.

After his second claim I asked why he didn't use a case (of any kind). His response was that he likes how the phone feels without a case.

Compared to the cost of $525 for the insurance claims I'd much rather have thrown a beefy case on it and have been done with it.
$650 for the phone + $175 X 3 = $1,175 for a phone. If the "feel" of the phone in their hands is worth $1,200 then that's great for them.

I stick with $200 android phones with $10 cases from Amazon and am not missing out on anything (other than Apple Maps/Safari being my default apps).

I also know someone who has a case on her Apple phone. It has the same cutout so you can't miss the logo

Instantly pictured a drop on a point of some kind that punches into the phone's elegant and absolutely required metal back through the protective case's vanity circle..
mm, bummer.. <stifled laughter>

".. you look mahvelous! "

Back