TechSpot

Apple dumping Nvidia graphics on future Macs?

By Jos
Jul 3, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Former Inquirer writer Charlie Demerjian is reporting (for his new project called SemiAccurate, mind you) that recent negotiations between Apple and Nvidia over next-gen hardware have come to a bitter halt. At issue is supposedly a much publicized problem with previous-generation GeForce GPUs that affected many of Appleā€™s MacBook laptops, forcing them to offer a costly warranty extension and repair refund policy.

Read the whole story
  2. Captain828

Captain828 TS Guru Posts: 277

The Inq and nVidia do not go well together. ;)
  3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

I'm curious to know who's ego is bigger, Apples or Nvidias.
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You don't really have to ask that question do you? Apple must be latin for most gigantic ego of the universe.
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

Yeah I know, I just find it funny Apple is annoyed at Nvidias arrogance.
  6. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

It makes more sense from their end to only deal with one manufacturer, but I'm not sure axing Nvidia is the smart choice. I may be an ATI fan but AMD has turned the tables from a constant hardware battle to a Nvidia win every time. If they don't like what they get, they should consider joining the business themselves. Its not like they aren't a hardware manufacturer... I don't know, maybe Intel is starting an Anti-Nvidia bandwagon and Apple felt like hopping on.
  7. FoReWoRd

FoReWoRd TS Rookie Posts: 238

we will never know :)
  8. all this is a bunch of bull. There is only one good reason apple would axe Nvidia in future systems. Its the same reason that apple has dragged their feet going into the i7 transition. Nvidia cannot make chipsets for the i7. There is no great big fight or anything like good ole charlie would make everyone believe. Nothing like that at all. Nvidia cannot provide apple with an i7 offering. If somehow intel losses this lawsuit then we may see Apple i7 with nvidia chipsets, but that is a long shot. Apple has been waiting for the outcome just as many other companies but its soon gonna have to make the switch with or without nvidia. For now it appears without!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.