Apple dumping Nvidia graphics on future Macs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Former Inquirer writer Charlie Demerjian is reporting (for his new project called SemiAccurate, mind you) that recent negotiations between Apple and Nvidia over next-gen hardware have come to a bitter halt. At issue is supposedly a much publicized problem with previous-generation GeForce GPUs that affected many of Apple’s MacBook laptops, forcing them to offer a costly warranty extension and repair refund policy.

While the newer 9400M chipsets which are now the basis of nearly all of Apple’s machines don't appear to be affected, there is some speculation that the 9600M GPUs used in 15" and 17" MacBook Pros may also suffer similar failures. But it is Nvidia’s questionable handling of the whole situation and arrogant stance that has Apple angered and looking for new suppliers.

However, the alleged ditching of Nvidia hardware (if true) is likely due to the fact that Core i7 chips for laptops are scheduled to be released in the second half of the year and Nvidia doesn’t have a chipset product for that space. The graphics firm is currently embroiled in a lawsuit with Intel over whether or not it is licensed to make chipsets compatible with Intel processors that include an integrated memory controller – such as Nehalem CPUs.

Regarding its relationship with Apple, Nvidia claims nothing has changed in the last few weeks and that the Cupertino-based company is still buying their notebook GPUs and chipsets.

Permalink to story.

You don't really have to ask that question do you? Apple must be latin for most gigantic ego of the universe.

It makes more sense from their end to only deal with one manufacturer, but I'm not sure axing Nvidia is the smart choice. I may be an ATI fan but AMD has turned the tables from a constant hardware battle to a Nvidia win every time. If they don't like what they get, they should consider joining the business themselves. Its not like they aren't a hardware manufacturer... I don't know, maybe Intel is starting an Anti-Nvidia bandwagon and Apple felt like hopping on.

all this is a bunch of bull. There is only one good reason apple would axe Nvidia in future systems. Its the same reason that apple has dragged their feet going into the i7 transition. Nvidia cannot make chipsets for the i7. There is no great big fight or anything like good ole charlie would make everyone believe. Nothing like that at all. Nvidia cannot provide apple with an i7 offering. If somehow intel losses this lawsuit then we may see Apple i7 with nvidia chipsets, but that is a long shot. Apple has been waiting for the outcome just as many other companies but its soon gonna have to make the switch with or without nvidia. For now it appears without!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back