Apple expected to refresh entire iPad line at October 22 media event

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple ipads allthingsd ipad tablet

Apple will have a new wave of iPads out in time for the holiday season. The slates are expected to take center stage at a special media event on October 22 according to people familiar with Apple’s plans as reported by All Things D.

The fifth generation iPad is expected to feature a number of improvements including a thinner and lighter design that borrows from the iPad min. It’ll likely arrive with Apple’s new 64-bit A7 processor like the one found in the iPhone 5S. Elsewhere, we are hearing that the tablet will also include an improved rear camera.

The second coming of the iPad mini is widely expected to ship with a Retina display as well as the A7 chip. It’s not known at this time if either new iPad will feature the Touch ID fingerprint sensor that’s now shipping on the latest Apple flagship smartphone.

A location for the event wasn’t provided. Last month’s iPhone reveal was hosted at Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino while last year’s iPad mini and Mac showcase took place at the California Theater in San Jose. The publication notes the San Jose location is out of the question so that leave’s the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco or Apple’s campus.

The timing is worth pointing out as it will come a day after Microsoft’s new Surface tablets start shipping and also happens to fall on the same day as Nokia’s Innovation Reinvented event.

Permalink to story.

First Comment!!! All I gotta say is I don't expect anything innovative this time from apple. err I mean I never have.

Once again, I ask: who can tell me how a Retina Mini will exist in the ecosystem? Thought?

Congrats, first comment on techspot, where 20 comments might happen over the span of a few days.

Muti-color ipad, a fingerprint scanner, bigger screen, a stylus, 3D, flexible screen???
wish their will be a wow factor again for apple products....

5days battery life with continuous use... now thats something.

Take the new iPad 4 and replace the housing with multi-color plastic. Call it iPad 5 or the new iPad or iPad 2013....BOOM! Apple's raking in millions again from suckers..!

All I see is android users crying as usual lol, you guys are obsessed with apple!

All I see is android users crying as usual lol, you guys are obsessed with apple!
We're not obsessed at all, just amazed by all the suckers on the planet.

Yep. Everybody's a sucker. The fandroids and the iSheep as they say.

I'm excited about that fact that I won't feel even the vaguest need to be excited about ANY Apple release, let alone this one.

When a cable company started showing ads on TV about how you could use your iPad to change channels on your TV, that's when I realized that this garbage was for the young, foolish, and dull of wit.

That said, there's no zen peace for me, listening for the sound of one Apple turd dropping.

I'd also like to point out that this is an improved attitude since my feckless youth. Way back when, I would have simply snorted a couple of lines of meth, then got up and changed the channels with the buttons, (or knobs perhaps), on the TV itself.

But, now that drug paraphernalia has been outlawed, I expect an old, broken, iPad, would come in handy as a chopping block.. In fact, you could probably turn this into a party game. Just roll up a hundred dollar bill, and try to short the letters....(wait for it)........,"I-P-A-D".......:eek: :p

Disclaimer: Now boys and girls, (and some adults), this is merely a rant by your unfriendly, neighborhood crank poster. Don't ever try this at home.....;)

I'm excited about that fact that I won't feel even the vaguest need to be excited about ANY Apple release, let alone this one.

When a cable company started showing ads on TV about how you could use your iPad to change channels on your TV, that's when I realized that this garbage was for the young, foolish, and dull of wit.

Yeah. The only Apple(s) I get excited about is the bags of apples I buy from the grocer.

I was hoping for an update on the apple tv. I plan on getting one but don't want to be stuck with an old model in a few weeks time...

Back