Apple grabs 56% of dedicated streaming devices market

By Jos
Jul 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple may view its set-top box as little more than a hobby at this point -- or so they claim -- but apparently it's popular enough to attract more buyers than any of its direct rivals. According to a report...

Read more
  2. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,283   +229

The numbers make sense, since they are only units sold in 2012, not total units in operation... Apple had a big push with their 3rd gen AppleTV unit in 2012, so I would expect their sales to have been rather high in that timeframe (3 of my friends replaced their gen 1 units with the latest to get 1080p). Have to wonder if anyone has actual figures on streaming units in use? That would be a much more interesting comparison, to see what the actual operational market share is... Really hard to get that kind of data, though.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,039   +218

I dont see a point in streaming devices when we have stuff like netflix its cheap and its all software.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +81

I'm thinking that Apple is trying to develop this market and posting this news to attract potential customers.
    This news is worthy is in the light of people cutting the cord abandoning cable or satellite, leaving this to be considered your TV receiver alternative. But as Wastedkill points out, there are many free alternatives to this that you already own so even I see this as something of a pointless metric.
    avoidz likes this.
  5. Tanstar

Tanstar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195   +18

Tivo has a dedicated streaming device? My Tivo DVR and PS3 both give me access to most of the downloadable/streamable tv content out there.
  6. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,669   +868

Impressive. The Apple TV lacks some functionality, but it is still better than a Chrome box IMO.
  7. They get to these numbers by selling mass quantities to large companies they're contracted which are then literally given away. Apple charts literally mean nothing to me any more.

The important question is who's leading the "Streaming" market.
    1- Netflix
    2- Amazon VoD
    3- Hulu Plus
    4- Vudu
    5- iTunes (Which is notably better for music, not necessarily video content).

Who cares about "dedicated streaming devices" when overall your streaming service is not even in the top 3 of most used. This leaves out other major services like in-home DVR streaming.
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

Don't buy it there are many ways to stream and they're not taking those into account. Only what Apple TV sold seem more on target.

When they do these surveys I didn't get a call asking me how many network media streamers I own. So Others would be larger count. You can stream from your Network Media Players, NAS, Web, PC, tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, workstation and yes from the server, Let's not forget Windows Media Center, XBOX, PS3, Wii can Stream so much they don't take into account.

So again another call for AppleTV boxes to be counted. Everything else is estimated results.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.