Apple granted patent for interchangeable iPhone camera lenses mounting system

By Shawn Knight
Apr 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The US Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday granted Apple a patent that describes a mounting system for the iPhone that would allow users to attach different lenses over the phone's camera. The system would use a bayonet attachment mechanism...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

It was only a matter of time, surprised it took so long to be honest.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

So all the other phone makers can make their own design or use the traditional interchangeable lens. I don't see a problem with this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,378

freythman and OneSpeed like this.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Personally speaking, interchangeable lenses for cameras on phones is the last thing that would interest me.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Ah awesome wish I got patents free without inventing or making any products like that, just shows that even if your pathetically stupid you will be given random patents to sue the hell out of others :)
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

The patent office isn't corrupt, but they do have to follow the laws. The problem is the laws were written 100 years ago and don't apply well to technology.

My first thought was also that Apple did this to get the patent so that others couldn't do it. But I really doubt any big name company would have thought about building something like this for their phone without first filing a patent. I also don't see why Apple would do it to prevent a small company from attaching a lens as it would drive sales of more iPhones. It’s not like they stopped Sqaure from making their credit card reader for the iPhone. Who knows though… maybe they tried.
  8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,378

When a small company applies for a patent, it goes into the "patent pending" status for a long-long time, because of the backlog.

When a huge corporation applies for a package of patents, they get to push it through right away, because they pay better and have an army of lawyers help them all the way.

There is no fairness in this business, it is both flawed and corrupt at the same time, imho.
  9. ThanosPAS

ThanosPAS TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +9

They got jealous of project Ara!
  10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I really would love an attachable lens, as long as the built-in lens doesnt extrude to accommodate this.
  11. warren williams

warren williams TS Rookie

There was a kick-starter program that was doing this wonder if apple bought them out was on tech spot forms just a few months ago
  12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,602   +370

I think if they can inset the interlock, it would be practical.
  13. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 633   +163

Why don't they just cut the crap and patent the act of patenting something.
    I'm sure the USPO will gladly give them the patent like they always have.

This way they never will have any more issues with pesky other companies trying to make a buck.
  14. I think it's important to differentiate between interchangeable and attachable. The patent looks like it is a bayonet for attachable lenses. There doesn't appear to be any electrical contacts either. So it's a patent on a clip shape, nothing more. It won't stop anyone else doing something similar because there are a huge number of pre-existing and similar patents and bayonet mounted lenses have been around for decades.
  15. robertocarlus

robertocarlus TS Rookie

This clearly shows that it's ok for Apple to copy other companies and products without consequence. They didn't created the snap lens and shouldn't be allowed to get a patent on something they did not freakin' invented.