TechSpot

Apple has more user accounts than anyone else - except Facebook

By Shawn Knight
Jun 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new research report from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty revealed that Apple has more user accounts than any other technology company expect one – Facebook. The social network trumps all others with 1.05 billion accounts while Apple places a...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,556   +2,900

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,107

Uh... where's Google? Doesn't everyone with an android phone have a Google account? Even if there were fewer than 29 million Google accounts and they didn't make the first graph, I'd bet their average user has spent more than $5, which would make them show up on the 2nd graph.

EDIT - Nevermind, I figured it out I think.... the link to the report is on Appleinsider.com. I guess in their own little world Google doesn't exist.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

But that's only because they haven't bothered to erase the 480 million closed accounts. They still submit them to these analysts.

avoidz and m4a4 like this.
  5. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

As MilwaukeeMike pointed out, there's no Google. Which means that I call BS on these dreamy little charts.

avoidz likes this.
  6. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Booster Posts: 99   +11

The company I ignore has less user accounts than a company I ignore little less.... I WIN! :) Sorry, my sense of humor suck when I'm drunk :p

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,107

True... many of these types of numbers are often way off. For example, Justin Bieber has the most twitter followers, but some company did a survey and estimated that about 52% of them are fake or duplicates of hard core fans just trying to boost his numbers.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

I hadn't even noticed that Google wasn't present yet I have an Android phone. I wonder if Apple pays people to publish this garbage... Scrap that last statement, Apple pays no one, they expect you to pay them.

avoidz and m4a4 like this.
  9. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Seems legit. Nice troll, Techspot.

10. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Yup.
    To do anything on an iPad or basically any Apple device now, you need an Apple account. It tracks everything you do, the Apple service agreement is ridiculous. Uncle Sam probably gets more useful information from Apple then it does the FBI or CIA in many cases.
    I setup my Apple ID for work since I have an iPad 2 to use when I need it. I would never put anything personal on there, or as little as possible.

11. It's also missing Microsoft which would presumably be just as big as Google since anyone with an account on Xbox Live, Hotmail/Outlook/Messenger/Skype, Windows Phone, or Office, or any other Microsoft service should be there.

It's also not true that every Apple account has a credit card attached to it. Where do they even get that every account has a credit card? I have an Apple account with no credit card on it, undoubtedly many other people do as well considering a large portion of their user base isn't even old enough to own a credit card.

avoidz likes this.
  12. As I've stated before, these so-called "research firms" are full of $h!t; Morgan Stanley is no exception.

avoidz likes this.
  13. freythman

freythman TS Booster Posts: 113   +10

Let's also not forget Yahoo and Twitter.

14. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Booster Posts: 206   +30

No Google or LIVE?

15. Another iTrash article. This company makes me sick. I bet people read this article, turn around & say "See, I told you Apple was number one!"

avoidz likes this.
  16. More user accounts than anyone?!?
    Yeah because they don't delete anything. I had to yell at the apple tech to delete my brother's old apple account because it was conflicting with his new one he made for his new iphone.
    So she had to instant message another tech in a completely different departement to delete the account took 45 mins.

17. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

Well Apple does require you to have an account to do just about anything.

18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,556   +2,900

That would make the polls one sided!

19. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 TS Booster Posts: 166   +41

I was wondering the same thing!

20. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde TS Rookie Posts: 101   +7

I am sure there are more Xbox Live accounts than Netflix and they also generate revenue

21. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 458   +54

On the AppleInsider site, the comments suggest the stats numbers only include accounts with credit cards attached and ignore "Gmail" accounts... Also ignoring the Google Play store and account holders who buy stuff there.

Special pleading?