TechSpot

Apple is forcing game developers to edit depictions of guns in promotional screenshots

By Shawn Knight
Feb 13, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has reportedly been turning away some mobile games from its iOS App Store because they display guns or violence in their promotional screenshots.

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

So glad our Apple parents are there to look out for us! /s
    Very much hope the other platforms don't implement the same requirements.

3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +530

Or you know, you could do a "Maturity" rating system like everything else and build off of that.

4. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

No real surprise here. Apple's always been over zealous in their moderation of their walled garden. However, if you're one of the highly profitable games, then you don't have to play by the same rules as everyone else in the hypocritical Apple world.

5. God forbid we get exposed to guns on mobile apps. Lets just stick to TV,Movies,Console/PC games, or even walking by a drug store magazine rack. Nice try apple.

6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,653   +523

Why are Americans such hypocrites, they can't help but get enough of their second amendment rights but then sensor cartoon depictions of firearms... Seriously? And then they play favoritism with select developers crippling others, this is a good reason for me to avoid Apple crap, I already do due to other reasons. Don't iDevices require your age, gender, dna, just to use them to begin with, or god forbid it could tell between an adult account and a minor's account based on credit card information required to purchase the apps in the first place. At any rate, I'm glad I don't support Apple.

robb213 and S_Brideau like this.
  7. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 957   +273

Doesn't surprised me either... bunch of hippie communists over there at Apple. Guns are bad, mmmkay.

8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

I don't understand the point of this censorship. Would be interesting to read what Apple has to say about it.

Has it crossed your mind that Americans are not a hive mind, and some may not like gun ownership?

Besides, Apple is an international company. It could be that this is a response to laws in other countries, not the US.

9. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TS Member Posts: 76   +12

Love how people like to class another nationality based on outside factors. You judge without seeing the flaws in your statement. How can you judge an entire nationality based on one company? How can you do it based on companies in general? Companies do not have nationalities, they thrive for themselves and nobody else.

Have you not seen the controversy between the right to bear arms? Have you not seen there are more ways than one to view it?

You could say 'Why are Iranians so hostile?' basing all your information on their conflict, but not the people themselves. You, my friend (Adhmuz), are what the World calls a discriminator, the root of all evil. The root of racism, religion-ism, sexism, etcetera.

Oh, it's 'censor', not sensor. I would rather the typo at 'do due', being 'doo doo'.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,559   +2,900

Let me see if I have this straight. A gory violent game can be an acceptable addition to the store only if a friendly non-violent promotional screenshot is used. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not going in the opposite direction from eliminating false advertising?

11. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,562   +2,372

This should read "Why are American elites such hypocrites?" Ordinary Americans are overwhelmingly pro-gun (one needs only observe the political unviability of the gun control platform to understand that). It's the people at the top of the pyramid who continually speak out against weapons only to run around with armed security or return home to their own immaculate collections.

That said, the hypocrisy of Apple on this matter and the illogic of the decision isn't surprising. They are, after all, run by progressives.

12. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Reminds me of the E.T. movie when converted to digital they replaced the shotguns with walkie-talkies!

13. Seraphim401

Seraphim401 TS Enthusiast Posts: 58   +12

Ironic after those big brother commercials in the 80 's.

davislane1 likes this.
  14. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 818   +231

You got the commercial wrong, they were warning you that THEY were going to be big brother in the future and they are fulfilling that promise.