Apple is forcing game developers to edit depictions of guns in promotional screenshots

Shawn Knight

Staff member

developers apple rejecting games images guns app store gaming apps app games rejecting voilence

Apple has reportedly been turning away some mobile games from its iOS App Store because they display guns or violence in their promotional screenshots.

Pocket Gamer was first to break the news as multiple developers told the site that their games and updates were being rejected because they displayed what is apparently inappropriate material. Developer Splash Damage, for example, had to blur out the guns in their promotional screenshots for Tempo in order to get approval.

developers apple rejecting games images guns app store gaming apps app games rejecting voilence

You can see more of their blurred shots by clicking here.

When releasing an update for Gunslugs II on January 16, developer OrangePixel also ran into issues. In an e-mail from one of the developers to Kotaku, they said one of their screenshots (which had previous been approved during the game’s original release) was rejected because of violence.

Team Chaos, the crew behind Rooster Teeth vs. Zombiens, said they had to remove the NES Zapper gun from their original icon. It was replaced with what appears to be a baseball bat.

Another developer responsible for a pair of high-profile shooter games who asked to remain anonymous said they were also forced to remove guns in their screenshots.

It is one thing if Apple wants to change its policy but it’s quite another to not do so universally. A game called Gang Nations shows cartoon-style characters holding all sorts of weapons in its screenshots while the updated version of Bullet Rush somehow manages to get away with showing sniper rifles.

Permalink to story.

So glad our Apple parents are there to look out for us! /s
Very much hope the other platforms don't implement the same requirements.

No real surprise here. Apple's always been over zealous in their moderation of their walled garden. However, if you're one of the highly profitable games, then you don't have to play by the same rules as everyone else in the hypocritical Apple world.

God forbid we get exposed to guns on mobile apps. Lets just stick to TV,Movies,Console/PC games, or even walking by a drug store magazine rack. Nice try apple.

Why are Americans such hypocrites, they can't help but get enough of their second amendment rights but then sensor cartoon depictions of firearms... Seriously? And then they play favoritism with select developers crippling others, this is a good reason for me to avoid Apple crap, I already do due to other reasons. Don't iDevices require your age, gender, dna, just to use them to begin with, or god forbid it could tell between an adult account and a minor's account based on credit card information required to purchase the apps in the first place. At any rate, I'm glad I don't support Apple.

Doesn't surprised me either... bunch of hippie communists over there at Apple. Guns are bad, mmmkay.

I don't understand the point of this censorship. Would be interesting to read what Apple has to say about it.

Why are Americans such hypocrites, they can't help but get enough of their second amendment rights but then sensor cartoon depictions of firearms...

Has it crossed your mind that Americans are not a hive mind, and some may not like gun ownership?

Besides, Apple is an international company. It could be that this is a response to laws in other countries, not the US.

Why are Americans such hypocrites, they can't help but get enough of their second amendment rights but then sensor cartoon depictions of firearms... Seriously? And then they play favoritism with select developers crippling others, this is a good reason for me to avoid Apple crap, I already do due to other reasons. Don't iDevices require your age, gender, dna, just to use them to begin with, or god forbid it could tell between an adult account and a minor's account based on credit card information required to purchase the apps in the first place. At any rate, I'm glad I don't support Apple.

Love how people like to class another nationality based on outside factors. You judge without seeing the flaws in your statement. How can you judge an entire nationality based on one company? How can you do it based on companies in general? Companies do not have nationalities, they thrive for themselves and nobody else.

Have you not seen the controversy between the right to bear arms? Have you not seen there are more ways than one to view it?

You could say 'Why are Iranians so hostile?' basing all your information on their conflict, but not the people themselves. You, my friend (Adhmuz), are what the World calls a discriminator, the root of all evil. The root of racism, religion-ism, sexism, etcetera.

Oh, it's 'censor', not sensor. I would rather the typo at 'do due', being 'doo doo'.

Let me see if I have this straight. A gory violent game can be an acceptable addition to the store only if a friendly non-violent promotional screenshot is used. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not going in the opposite direction from eliminating false advertising?

Why are Americans such hypocrites, they can't help but get enough of their second amendment rights but then sensor cartoon depictions of firearms... Seriously?

This should read "Why are American elites such hypocrites?" Ordinary Americans are overwhelmingly pro-gun (one needs only observe the political unviability of the gun control platform to understand that). It's the people at the top of the pyramid who continually speak out against weapons only to run around with armed security or return home to their own immaculate collections.

That said, the hypocrisy of Apple on this matter and the illogic of the decision isn't surprising. They are, after all, run by progressives.

Reminds me of the E.T. movie when converted to digital they replaced the shotguns with walkie-talkies!

Back