Apple launches repair program for faulty iPhone 6 Plus cameras

midian182

Staff member

Apple has announced an iSight camera replacement program for a “small percentage” of iPhone 6 Plus units. The phones, sold primarily between September 2014 and January 2015, may be producing blurry photos due to a failing component.

Any iPhone 6 Plus owners who think their device may have a faulty camera can check if they’re eligible for a replacement by submitting the iPhone’s serial number on the company’s website. If it is eligible, Apple will replace the iSight camera free of charge. There’s no mention on how long the repairs might take, or whether those affected will receive a replacement phone while theirs is with Apple.

Those who wish to use the program have been warned that if their iPhone has any damage which may impair the replacement, such as a cracked screen, then they will need to have that repaired first, possibly at their own cost.

Apple says anyone who qualifies for a replacement camera should visit a Genius Bar at their local Apple store, talk to an authorized service provider (but not to their wireless provider), or contact the company’s technical support. Users are advised to back up their phone’s data to iTunes or iCloud before taking any of these steps.

Complaints about the iPhone 6 Plus taking blurry photos were first reported on Apple’s support website in October 2014. Some users on the support thread reported that their handsets were replaced once they made Apple aware of the issue, but it has taken until now for the company to confirm the problem and launch the replacement program.

Permalink to story.

I know 5 people that own(ed) Apple products, 2 of them had technical problems with them requiring warranty fixing/replacement. Unless Apple have some policy of selling some lower quality units to Eastern Europe (still EU), I would say it's awfully unreliable brand and would keep away from them.

I knew these gadgets bent but I never knew they could turn faulty if iFans are to be believed.

As an experience Apple user (MBP, iPhone and iPad) believe me when I tell you: anybody who tells you their products are great is lying, anybody who tells you their products suck is lying, and anybody who tells you something else is lying also.

Apple is a lie. So are its customers.

/iLie

As an experience Apple user (MBP, iPhone and iPad) believe me when I tell you: anybody who tells you their products are great is lying, anybody who tells you their products suck is lying, and anybody who tells you something else is lying also.

Apple is a lie. So are its customers.

/iLie
Yup. There is no such thing as the perfect product. It's never existed and never will.

OMG iPhones having problems?!? What is this world coming to? I thought they built quality products where nothing can go wrong!

Back