TechSpot

Apple now controls 75 percent of the digital music market

By Shawn Knight
Jun 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Despite a growing number of streaming music services and outlets to purchase tunes, the digital music revolution is still in its infancy. Apple changed the way we purchase and consume music with iTunes and the iPod and nearly 12 years...

Read more

2. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

I don't see why anyone would pay over $1 a song when their are services such as Spotify with 20 million for $10 unless you don't know any better. People have money to burn I guess.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,980   +957

What's the bit rate?
    Is there any DRM?
    Can you get the song you want, when you want it?

(I'm an old man, I still actually buy CDs and concert videos).

That said, anything is probably better than having Apple software running on a Windows computer.

You'd think Apple in general would be repellant to enough people, they'd buy more music from Amazon. At least maybe 50/50..bah humbug.

4. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 667   +96

I too still buy CDs. I also hate iTunes as it is bloatware.

avoidz likes this.
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,484   +233

I don't buy very much music but when I do, it's all CDs.

avoidz likes this.
  6. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

Spotify Bitrate is up to 320k and u can download them offline you just have to check in within 30 days. Yes u can get almost any song. There are a few hold outs but they are all slowly joining in. It works on ur computer, smartphone, iPod touch, iPad. You can not burn them to CDs however. U can also use it for free.

7. Johnny Doe

Johnny Doe TS Rookie

There was also a time when Apple control over 75% of the mobile market too. Oh have time changed, and oh how times will change.

Android rules.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

You guys didn't click accept on the Human CentiPad clause, right?

9. Johnny Doe

Johnny Doe TS Rookie

I have no idea what you are talking about.

10. captaincranky

Count me among the baffled....:confused:

avoidz likes this.
  11. Johnny Doe

Johnny Doe TS Rookie

Just Googled it and saw a clip from Southpark. Never had an iPad so I never signed the clause. I guess the Human CentiPad is from a Movie? Googleing.....

spydercanopus likes this.

12. captaincranky

You know I'm really old, and even I don't come up with references that obscure, and I've had 60+ years of practice.

Although perhaps it is easily explicable, in that I don't have cable, and probably wouldn't watch "Southpark" if I did.

I felt the joke flying over my head though, and it gave off a lovely breeze.

9Nails and spydercanopus like this.
  13. Saintnsinner

Saintnsinner TS Rookie Posts: 56   +11

I didn't know you we're that old captain. That explains a lot. LoL

14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,345   +806

(I'm an old man, I still actually buy CDs and concert videos).

That said, anything is probably better than having Apple software running on a Windows computer.

You'd think Apple in general would be repellant to enough people, they'd buy more music from Amazon. At least maybe 50/50..bah humbug.[/quote]
    I'd still buy 78 rpm records, 45 rpm 7 singles & 16mm film new if it were possible.
    I still have a perfectly good gramophone player stored away in my garage.

15. Johnny Doe

Johnny Doe TS Rookie

No worries I'm about 20 years your junior and I didn't get it either, so don't feel bad. And no Cable for me too, there is nothing on that watchable today.

16. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 667   +96

I don't have cable either. Here in England loads of people have Sky TV which is a satellite broadcaster. I don't subscribe to that also. I think it is far too expensive and there are only a handful of programs I miss but I normally catch them on DVD which works out cheaper and you don't have ads to contend with.

Many of the CDs I buy work out cheaper than downloads. I like having a product that has a physical presence. Most of the CDs I buy tend to be either old or by artists that are old. I have never liked pop music and many of the albums are concept records that can be continuous.Something that iPhones cannot play without that annoying break in the music between tracks.

17. captaincranky, "That said, anything is probably better than having Apple software..."

+infinity and beyond!

18. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

This is the last time we ever agree (although, I am a BandCamp guy myself)...

19. Johnny Doe

Johnny Doe TS Rookie

Well said.

20. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

I have purchased a lot of used CDs off Amazon. That (for the time being) is still 100% legal, and you get it in almost* as good of quality (sound) as possible (* freshly pressed vinyl is probably the best if it was recorded well). The artists don't get anything out of that, so in a way it isn't any better than pirating a nice flac rip. But CDs for less than a dollar are hard to beat, need to order several though (from the same seller) to make shipping not negate the low price.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.