Apple opens its first South American store in Brazil

1. Apple on Saturday inaugurated its first Latin American store in Brazil. Located in the shopping Village Mall in Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, the store witnessed a grand inauguration with more than 1,700 shoppers standing in a queue for...

Read more
  2. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,194   +445

Gotta love those import tariffs. Taking competition out of your price range since... Well, since over two thousand years!
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

'the company has already lowered the prices of some of its phones'
    **Gasp** This is heresy!!! Phew, OK, I just noticed the word 'some' in the sentence, they could be referring to the 3 & 3GS models but surely not the later overpriced things because they're still trying to rob the unsuspecting/uninformed consumer.
  4. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA Newcomer, in training Posts: 48   +8

I'm from Brasil but been living in the US since 2000, those import tax the brazilian government put on products are just plain robbery. It's retarded and it will never change unless the population do something about it, which it is very unlikely, nowadays when we have information at our fingertips I just don't understand why they just won't do something about it!
  5. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TechSpot Booster Posts: 242   +42

In a practical sense, those high prices only affect those in middle class range. Since poor people only have money to buy food and barely pay bills; and rich people have enough money to go abroad and bring all their gadgets from somewhere else.
    Middle class people (me) are always asking their rich friends to smug something in their luggage when they travel. But eventually, we end up paying the Brazilian price for the things no one will bring for us.
  6. This store can bet on getting robbed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.