Apple quadruples iTunes Match and Apple Music upload limit to 100,000 songs

midian182

Staff member

Any Apple users with massive music libraries who like to access their songs via the cloud now have a lot more space available when it comes storing their tracks. Six months ago, Apple’s Internet Software and Services senior vice president, Eddie Cue, promised that the limit for iTunes Match and Apple Music libraries would be increased from 25,000 to 100,000 songs. Now, Cue has confirmed to MacRumors that Apple has “started rolling out support for 100k libraries.”

Apple has yet to make an official announcement on the rollout, but several users have reported that they were able to upload music libraries of greater than 25,000 tracks to iTunes Match or Apple Music’s similar scan-and-match feature.

The $25-a-year iTunes Match service lets users store all their music in iCloud – even songs imported from CDs. The service scans all the tracks in a user’s library and compares them to the 43 million songs on the iTunes store. Matching tracks are then made available on any device that uses iTunes Match. All songs that are accessed this way get played back in high-quality 256Kbps AAC format, even if the original copy was of lower quality. Any tracks that the service can’t match get uploaded. Since its launch in 2011, iTunes Match has limited user accounts to 25,000 songs.

The update also applies to the scan-and-match feature on the $10-a-month Apple Music service, which now also supports 100,000 tracks.

The new online song limit is double that of Google Play Music, which allows 50,000 tracks, but while Apple Music and iTunes Match require paid-for subscriptions, Google’s music service is free.

Permalink to story.

iTunes, Google Play Tunes, M$'s competitor, Fedora etc... These are the kind of services I wouldn't waste one second contemplating wasting money on.
They may be for some but definitely not for me.

I've been using Google Play for a bit, uploaded my music collection, it seems to work fine. I can stream on my iPhone without any problems. I guess going through the Apple app might be easier, but free vs. $25/yr, I'll take free.

Back