TechSpot

Apple refreshes iMac with Haswell, faster SSDs and next-gen Wi-Fi

By Jos
Sep 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has announced an update to the iMac family of all-in-one desktops that brings the latest Intel “Haswell” processors, better graphics, next-generation Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage options into the same thin design revealed by the company last year....

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

Wow $1300 for a iMac with Intel graphics? Now this is just a screw up by Apple. At least bring it down to $999.

3. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

Hmmm, seeing as how each better model comes with a better video chipset, and is ultimately upgradeable to a GTX780M, I wonder if the video chipset is swappable. That would be awesome.

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,205   +174

My guess is that these are different logic boards that they're swapping at the factory. These items are probably not an "off-the-shelf" item that you'll find at a local PC components store. In other words, they'll be an expensive upgrade, even if you do it yourself.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

The iMac is basically built like a laptop and it will most likely be soldered onto the motherboard like Nails said.

6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,186   +587

The price of these things is completely uncalled for, that's a ridiculous price for a machine with Integrated graphics. I can buy a medium gaming laptop for 1300 that would blow that thing out of the water in almost all areas.

7. You all seem to ignore the price of a similar IPS monitor.

8. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,205   +174

I can pick up a 22" IPS monitor at NewEgg down as low as $120. It's not great enough of a factor to justify iMac when I'm just looking to match spec for spec. Of course when I build my own spec'ed to match computer I'll end up saving money any way. What you're paying additional for with Apple is service / support, and the software platform to run Apple titles.

If I was dead set on that AIO factor, I can start out below the $400 price point in a Lenovo, Acer, Asus, or HP. Of course I wouldn't do that since I want a system that would have enough power to run a few titles simultaneously. (And I would want Windows instead of Android.) So going up to a $700 - $750 price range and there's a plethora of AIO computers to pick from - including ones with an IPS display. It would take an additional $550 dollars to get to Apple's vaulted price level.