Apple refreshes MacBook Pro Retina laptops with Haswell, cuts prices

By Julio Franco
Oct 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As expected Apple was ready to announce a refresh to its MacBook Pro line of laptops today. Both 13-inch and 15-inch Retina laptops will receive a speed bump thanks to the Intel Haswell + Intel Iris graphics update, but most...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,670   +868

Oh man I want the new MBP!
  3. TechGamer

TechGamer TechSpot Booster Posts: 407   +34

we all want something :) its a matter of having the money though :( gimmie that MACBOOK!
  4. $2000 for about an $800 notebook. Apple does it again!
    wastedkill likes this.
  5. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 945   +94

For a $2000 Laptop the 750M should have been there by default with an option for 780M.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  6. backo

backo TechSpot Member Posts: 58   +8

This is Apple they are not the most value for money company out there... It's like the Porsche GT3 RS... you get charged more for less, only in the case of Apple you even get the engine from a mid range VW Beetle :)
  7. $800 for this kind of hardware?! Whoever said that should go back to school and learn to count... and read, too.
  8. Go find me a laptop with this resolution for $800 and I'll give you $200. There are no comparable laptops so spend your $800 on a shitbox, Envy 17.
  9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Windows users currently have no need for high-PPI screens, because the OS doesn't work on them.
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,565   +476

Windows 8.0 did work on them fine. Windows 8.1 works on them even better.
  11. Wow another scam by apple. Those specs are very bad and a better computer could be gotten for $500. If you really want to spend over 1K on a computer, then get an alienware laptop instead. The Alienware will easily outperform the mac by over 20 times for a cheaper price.

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Windows uses DPI, whereas Mac uses the same method as iPad non-retina -> retina. Subs four pixels for one pixel.
  13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,409   +281

* Scam?
    * Desktop, sure. Laptop/notebook? doubtful.
    * At the expense of a much heaver/thicker and almost assuredly worse battery life. Screen is crap too.
    * I think your math is made up.

Bottom line here is I think you are totally confusing purposes. I looked through the specs on the only Alienware cheaper than the 13" MBP, it is over twice as thick and nearly 3lbs heavier (6.12lbs vs 3.46). The base model screen is atrocious, next two steps up get you 1920x1080 which is still less than the MBP. They are for completely different audiences.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.