Apple removes Activation Lock status tool that helped people avoid buying stolen iOS devices

Jos

Staff

Apple has quietly removed the iCloud Activation Lock status check tool from its website, which offered a convenient method of determining whether a used iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Apple Watch is stolen. The tool helped facilitate the secondhand iOS device market by letting anyone type in the IMEI or serial number of an iOS device to find out whether it was still locked by another Apple account before buying.

The change was spotted by MacRumors who also notes that Apple’s relevant support document had removed any reference to the tool — it appears to be back in there as of this writing but clicking on this link returns a 404 error. The support document details an alternative method of checking whether Activation Lock has been turned off before buying a used device but it requires having physical access to it, which isn’t as practical when buying online from someone in another city.

The tool helped curb black market iPhone sales from people posting stolen devices on sites like eBay at a low price, only for the buyer to find that it was effectively unusable.

For those unfamiliar, Activation Locks is a security feature that prevents a thief from reactivating your iOS device, even if they turn off Find My iPhone or wipe the device. That’s because it requires them to know your Apple ID and password before erasing the device —  information a random thief isn’t likely to know.

Permalink to story.

The question then is, why did they do this?
Probably so people don't buy used phones, when they could instead spend a small fortune on a brand new device. Probably also because they realise there's so many people in the world who need a 3rd parent in their life, telling them what they can and can't do.

It's not going to lessen stolen devices... thieves arent exactly smart.

Plus, who cares? There's another EASY way to check this... should be obvious to most of you.

Plus, who cares? There's another EASY way to check this... should be obvious to most of you.
Because hackers and other "bad guys" were using it as a way to reset serial numbers on stolen iPhones...

Check out this video -- https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=ImXgMoviQD0 -- showing how to bulk reset serial numbers - Apple's activation lock was a key step...

The question then is, why did they do this?
So they can buy back those cheap devices, grossly over inflate the prices (they wrote the book on overcharging remember) then flog them from their stores at their extortionate prices. Pretty smart if you ask me.

Actually, some thieves are VERY smart.... they found a way to use Apple's own feature to mass-reproduce stolen iphone serials and make a fortune...

I'm assuming Apple is now hard at work finding a way to fix it so that it can't be used for "evil" purposes... once they do, it will be back online...If they can't, it will remain offline...

So they can buy back those cheap devices, grossly over inflate the prices (they wrote the book on overcharging remember) then flog them from their stores at their extortionate prices. Pretty smart if you ask me.
Because hackers and other "bad guys" were using it as a way to reset serial numbers on stolen iPhones...

Check out this video -- https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=ImXgMoviQD0 -- showing how to bulk reset serial numbers - Apple's activation lock was a key step...
I'm "almost" surprised to see people I thought read the threads are not actually reading and just hating because Apple.

I'm "almost" surprised to see people I thought read the threads are not actually reading and just hating because Apple.
I'm sorry It's just that when I see the name Apple I automatically, and justifiably see a lot of BS, smoke and mirrors then wrote my normal, staple, cynical and facetious comment. Obviously I know it's not really the case but just an involuntary reaction. I can't help myself :D

I'm sorry It's just that when I see the name Apple I automatically, and justifiably see a lot of BS, smoke and mirrors then wrote my normal, staple, cynical and facetious comment. Obviously I know it's not really the case but just an involuntary reaction. I can't help myself :D
I get the feeling, that's why I said "almost" :p

...[ ]....I'm assuming Apple is now hard at work finding a way to fix it so that it can't be used for "evil" purposes... once they do, it will be back online...If they can't, it will remain offline...
Well, we're not exactly overwhelmed by your psychic abilities. After all, it has to be one or the other. Not to mention Apple is more likely to prioritize making more money first.

OTOH, they could be working on a method to trip a stolen phone's, "Apple-Signal"(*), the first time someone other the original owner "holds it wrong"...*nerd*(y)

(*) a carbon arc spotlight is is remotely triggered by the stolen phone and shines into the night sky. It's similar in principal to "the Bat Signal", except it's in the shape of a half bitten Apple, wearing a turtleneck.

Back