Apple removes Blockchain, the last remaining Bitcoin wallet app from its App Store

Himanshu Arora

Staff

In what could be seen as another blow to the popularity of virtual currency Bitcoin, this week Apple removed Blockchain, the last remaining Bitcoin wallet app available from its App Store, citing an "unresolved issue." According to UK-based Blockchain, it received no prior warning of a problem.

The Blockchain app was added to the App Store in 2012 and was one of the most popular Bitcoin wallet apps. With Blockchain gone, iOS users will no longer be able to access the world's most popular virtual currency, as the iPhone maker has already pulled off other related apps including Coinbase and Gliph.

According to Nicolas Cary, CEO of Blockchain, Apple had previously pulled off the app, but it was later re-accepted. While Cary believes that the removal of the app indicates that the Cupertino-based company sees Bitcoin as a potential competitor, others argue that the decision to dump Bitcoin wallets could be attributed to confusing international regulations surrounding the virtual currency. Blockchain had been downloaded over 120,000 times from the iOS App Store in the past couple of years.

In contrast, Google seems to have no problem with Bitcoin. Hundreds of Bitcoin wallets, including apps from Blockchain and Coinbase are available on Android. “We’re totally cool with Google,” says Cary.

Kyle Drake from Coinpunk has urged users to raise their voice against Apple's move by signing a petition to allow Bitcoin wallets on the iPhone.

Permalink to story.

"In what could be seen as another blow to the popularity of virtual currency Bitcoin, this week Apple removed Blockchain," ...no....no, I believe it should read: "In what could be seen as another blow to the popularity of Apple, the company decided to remove the last Bitcoin related app from its store". Maybe this will just push those users to move away from the close-ended and close-minded apple ecosystem and its "my way or not at all" attitude. I highly doubt this will hurt Bitcoin at all as the majority of them tend to shy away from apple anyway...as to most techies =)

*disclaimer: do not expect a reply as I find online exchanges of "my way is better" totally pointless. I also rarely read what I write ever again*

*disclaimer: do not expect a reply as I find online exchanges of "my way is better" totally pointless. I also rarely read what I write ever again*

Not that I disagree with your point but this statement makes you sound like an elitist a hole. Its really unnecessary.

It's ok, it does not matter if they pulled the app, apple users are not tech savvy enough to understand how to use bitcoins anyway. ^_^

Apple is always like that, unreasonable! If it doesn't like, it eliminates unfairly!
That's why my relatives, friends and I switched from iPhone to Samsung phones.

This is so silly. This is like removing apps that transfer money like PayPal or Chase because US Dollars may be used to fund or facilitate criminal activity. This has to stop.

There are more peaceful ways to get Apple's attention about this ..

this video illustrates my point...

This is probably because of the soon to be released APPLECOIN.

Like the iPhone/iPad, it will be grossly inflated in price, aimed at brainless fanbois, and have a new version every 9 months (requiring upgrade).

Back