Apple reportedly dropped 4K TV plans a year ago

Scorpus

Staff member

Rumors have been floating around for years suggesting that Apple has been working on a HDTV, but we haven't heard anything concrete from the company on the matter. Now, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal, plans for an Apple television have been canned entirely.

The WSJ's sources suggest that while Apple has been working on a television for nearly a decade, the company simply couldn't find a way to differentiate the product from others on the market. Apple looked into 4K displays, FaceTime video chat functionality, and even transparent laser-powered displays for their TV, but decided none of those features were compelling enough.

Instead, Apple will reportedly announce a new version of their Apple TV set-top box at WWDC next month. The new Apple TV will be slimmer than previous models, come with refreshed software including an App Store, and will be controlled by a new remote with touch functionality, according to a variety of reports.

Apple is also expected to announce an Internet TV service at WWDC, which would bundle around 25 TV channels into a streaming service that would cost $30 to $40 per month. The service would launch next September and will be available to those with Apple devices.

Permalink to story.

Apple cannot compete in the market of 4K television, hence the move to drop the ball.

After using Macbook Pro for 1 yeah, I've been on the fence for buying 5K iMac. If Apple really releases an 8K iMac this year, that will be my next computer for sure.

It is best to stick where you're good at. Going above 4K in the PC market is really the way where they can move the technology forward.

I am looking forward to a new Apple TV, 4k support would help convince me to get a better TV and I really hope the upgraded specs are decent, the current Apple TV has pretty rubbish wireless that randomly stops working every so often and the menu's can be slow and laggy at times plus rebooting it can take ages.

If they address these however, I will be the first to put my hand in my pocket for a new Apple TV.

Back