Apple reportedly partnering with Shazam to integrate song-identification capabilities into iOS 8

Himanshu Arora

Staff

apple shazam ios

Apple is working on a song identification feature for its upcoming iOS 8, according to Bloomberg. The Cupertino-based company is partnering with Shazam to bake the technology into Siri, its voice-activated search feature.

Song recognition apps like Shazam and SoundHound use the smartphone's microphone to listen the song being played, which is then searched against a database to provide related information like lyrics and purchase links. Of course, if a tie-up materializes, purchase links will likely be limited to iTunes.

The feature will be integrated into the software, which means that there'd be no need to download Shazam separately. Instead you'd be able to ask Siri something like "what song is playing” in order to fetch its details.

Shazam already boasts more than 90 million monthly active users and is contemplating an IPO. A deal with Apple would give the company a much welcomed boost nonetheless.

The news comes just a month after Google added a similar feature for its voice-powered search tool Google Now.

Apple is also planning to launch iTunes Radio, a Pandora competitor it introduced last year, as a stand-alone app on the forthcoming iOS 8. These features could be unveiled at Apple's annual developer conference that kicks off on June 2 in San Francisco.

Permalink to story.

Every app I like Apple always somehow manages to sink their grasping greedy meathooks into and stuffs it up. :(
You have to be the most negative person to consistently post on this site in the 14+ years I've been here.

How is Apple and Shazam working together for an iOS feature 'stuffing it up'?

Didnt apple already have this feature to begin with??? I pretty sure I remember a advert showing an iphone ages ago being used to find out what a song is called, who cares if apps get integrated into the phone it means better performance, features, functionality, space, less time, etc etc etc....

You have to be the most negative person to consistently post on this site in the 14+ years I've been here.

How is Apple and Shazam working together for an iOS feature 'stuffing it up'?
Maybe you haven't noticed it yet but let me take this opportunity to enlighten you **Everything Apple gets it's hands on suddenly comes with an inflated price tag**
Shazam is free at the moment...

Last edited:
It is also not really free is it? Its ad supported, you have to pay if you don't want ads. I don't see Apple acquiring them. Shazam is on multiple platforms and has competitors, it doesn't make sense to buy that, kill off everything that isn't iOS, when they could just pay them a licensing fee and drop the iOS integration at a point in the future if things aren't working out.

Back