Apple reportedly taps longtime partner Foxconn to make sapphire glass

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report foxconn building display plant sapphire glass apple iphone display sapphire iphone display gt advanced sapphire display

Apple signed a deal with GT Advanced Technologies to create sapphire displays for the iPhone 6. Trusting an unproven supplier proved to be a fatal mistake, one that the Cupertino-based company likely won’t repeat anytime soon.

A week ago, news surfaced that longtime manufacturing partner Foxconn was planning to spend $2.6 billion over the next two years to build a new display manufacturing plant. Although Foxconn didn’t reveal much about the plant, a spokesperson said that it is being built at the urgent request of a client for exclusive use.

report foxconn building display plant sapphire glass apple iphone display sapphire iphone display gt advanced sapphire display

Most suspect that partner is Apple.

One week later, we’re hearing word out of China that Apple is once again reaching out to Foxconn. This time, the Chinese company is being tapped to produce the ultra strong sapphire glass that GT Advanced was unable to turn out in any usable quantity.

The report claims Foxconn has signed an agreement with the Zhengzhou city government in Henan Province to develop a 133 hectare sapphire factory.

What’s interesting here is the fact that while Foxconn and Apple have done business with each other for years, Foxconn has absolutely no experience in creating sapphire (that we know of). If the rumor does indeed pan out, it’ll be interesting to see whether or not Foxconn can produce the amount of sapphire that Apple would need for screens on its next generation iPhone.

GT Advanced was reportedly only able to fill 10 percent of Apple’s total order.

Permalink to story.

I don't know if Sapphire glass will work out... it supposedly has huge reflectivity compared to regular displays. I think they should just advance current technologies rather than toying with an expensive and risky new endeavor.

"What’s interesting here is the fact that while Foxconn and Apple have done business with each other for years, Foxconn has absolutely no experience in creating sapphire (that we know of)"

That's it! I don't know what apple think, not just Foxconn don't have experience, but also, last time Foxconn reportedly got difficulties in assembling iphone because their tight standards.. How could apple trust Foxconn to make sapphire glass?

"Foxconn can produce the amount of sapphire that Apple would need for screens on its next generation iPhone".
Hold on a second there! The next gen iPhone is due for release in less than a year from now. Do you think in that time they'll have managed to build an operational factory and have perfected the art of producing Sapphire glass in the quantities Apple expects?
Well if they don't then they won't have to worry about employees jumping to their deaths, there will be enough reject sapphire glass lying around for them to slit their wrists instead.
BTW I'll just assume you mean future generation iDevices.

"Foxconn can produce the amount of sapphire that Apple would need for screens on its next generation iPhone".
Hold on a second there! The next gen iPhone is due for release in less than a year from now. Do you think in that time they'll have managed to build an operational factory and have perfected the art of producing Sapphire glass in the quantities Apple expects?
Well if they don't then they won't have to worry about employees jumping to their deaths, there will be enough reject sapphire glass lying around for them to slit their wrists instead.
BTW I'll just assume you mean future generation iDevices.
Didn't that other company that never tried to make sapphire tell Apple the same thing before sinking millions of Apple's and their own money just to lose it all?

I don't know if Sapphire glass will work out... it supposedly has huge reflectivity compared to regular displays.
Well, Apple already makes all their displays out of the shiniest glass they can. This is so they can say, "look how black are blacks are, and look how saturated our colors are". And don't get me started about the retina displays
I think they should just advance current technologies rather than toying with an expensive and risky new endeavor.
Are you an Apple stockholder? Myself I think it would be quite amusing for them to have a huge fail for a change.

In any case, so what if the display is as shiny as a freshly polished Rolls-Royce hood ornament? You'll just have to be mindful of "holding your phone correctly"

First, you paint your eyes and lips flat black and then put on your basic Apple black velvet ski mask .(They'll come with embroidered Apple logos in non-reflective black thread, very chic).

Still too many reflections? Then just make your calls from under one of them thar "instant replay hoods". Like on the TV football game challenges.(y)

Back