TechSpot

Apple said to be testing larger displays for the iPhone, iPad

By Shawn Knight
Jul 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple is reportedly in the process of testing larger iPhone and iPad screens with a number of Asian suppliers. In recent months, Cupertino has asked for prototype iPhone screens larger than 4 inches and displays to use with the iPad...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,352   +807

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the iPhone had going for it was it's 4" display. A decent size for a pocket device.

Burty117 likes this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,157   +737

I've heard that a lot, but there are also people who buy Galaxy Notes. I think there may end up being some truth to Apple making more than one latest gen device so we'll be able to choose sizes. The Galaxy S3 and HTC One both have (or will have) mini versions.

But a 13 inch tablet would be rather new for Apple. the iPlacemat maybe? I wonder how well those large Dell Windows touch screens have been selling.

4. richiemortuk

richiemortuk TS Rookie

Too small for me.

Samsung S3 is a much nicer screen size, and I still dont know its in my pocket.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,352   +807

I dumped my S3 in favour of an S3 Mini because of the screen size.

6. Nooooo... if they increase the screen size, they'll have to increase the width, and then I won't be able to properly use it with one hand, otherwise it'll be a longphone and that's just ridiculous! Why, Apple!?!

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Too bad the iPhone 5 has a bad form factor. The aspect ratio of the display is wrong, the bezels are too big on the sides, and the top/bottom bezels are ridiculous. Sure, the iPhone 1 looked cute, but that was back in 2007. Times, technology, design - they all change. Apple is unfortunately a product of it's own, who said 9.7 and 3.5 inch is 'just perfect, magical'.

I'm still waiting on a public announcement saying "sorry, we were wrong".

8. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 667   +96

Surely phone size is a matter of personal choice. I prefer a larger screen but I can appreciate others may disagree. At the end of the day people should have a choice.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.