Apple said to be testing larger displays for the iPhone, iPad

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report apple testing larger iphone ipad screen sizes apple iphone ipad screen size

Apple is reportedly in the process of testing larger iPhone and iPad screens with a number of Asian suppliers. In recent months, Cupertino has asked for prototype iPhone screens larger than 4 inches and displays to use with the iPad that are just under 13 inches according to sources as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

At present, the iPhone 5 ships with a 4-inch screen while the full-sized iPad carries a 9.7-inch display. The smaller iPad mini utilizes a screen size of just 7.9 inches. Whether or not larger screens will ultimately make it into future products is unknown although the Journal points out that Apple routinely tests multiple concepts before a final design is selected.

During an earnings call a few months ago, Apple chief Tim Cook acknowledged that some are interested in a device with a larger screen. He pointed out, however, that existing “phablets” sacrifice color quality, resolution, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity and other features – tradeoffs Apple will not make just to ship a larger display iPhone.

Apple’s next iteration of the iPhone, widely referred to as the iPhone 5S, is expected to ship as early as next month. Most believe the handset will retain the same outward appearance as the current generation iPhone but with faster hardware inside.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Apple is said to be preparing to ramp up production of a new iPad within the next few weeks. Sources say the tablet will retain the same 9.7-inch display but will be lighter and thinner than the current generation slate.

Permalink to story.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the iPhone had going for it was it's 4" display. A decent size for a pocket device.

I've heard that a lot, but there are also people who buy Galaxy Notes. I think there may end up being some truth to Apple making more than one latest gen device so we'll be able to choose sizes. The Galaxy S3 and HTC One both have (or will have) mini versions.

But a 13 inch tablet would be rather new for Apple. the iPlacemat maybe? I wonder how well those large Dell Windows touch screens have been selling.

Nooooo... if they increase the screen size, they'll have to increase the width, and then I won't be able to properly use it with one hand, otherwise it'll be a longphone and that's just ridiculous! Why, Apple!?!

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the iPhone had going for it was it's 4" display. A decent size for a pocket device.
Too bad the iPhone 5 has a bad form factor. The aspect ratio of the display is wrong, the bezels are too big on the sides, and the top/bottom bezels are ridiculous. Sure, the iPhone 1 looked cute, but that was back in 2007. Times, technology, design - they all change. Apple is unfortunately a product of it's own, who said 9.7 and 3.5 inch is 'just perfect, magical'.

I'm still waiting on a public announcement saying "sorry, we were wrong".

Surely phone size is a matter of personal choice. I prefer a larger screen but I can appreciate others may disagree. At the end of the day people should have a choice.

Back