Apple, Samsung chiefs to meet in mediation ahead of March court date

By Shawn Knight
Jan 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple and Samsung have agreed to attend a mediation session before the two electronic giants head to court in March to battle it out over smartphone patents. The session, to be attended by Apple CEO Tim Cook, Samsung CEO Oh-Hyun...

Read more
  2. Panda218

Panda218 Newcomer, in training Posts: 95   +13

I'm sick and tired of reading about this crap. What's wrong with a little competition?
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +683

It's all part of the same competition. In order to beat your opponent you can sell more than them at a better margin, sue the pants off them, or best yet, stop them from selling their products in certain countries.

Until they change the patent laws the courtroom competition will be as big as the sales competition. And arguably more important. 2012 was the first year some of these major tech companies spent more on legal representation than on research and development.

I think the best we can do is stop clicking on the headlines and reading the stories.
  4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

They shall work together to fine someone else
  5. Kafantaris

Kafantaris Newcomer, in training

Hands down, the time and effort spent settling a case far outweighs the time and effort spent litigating it. And the settlement concludes the dispute so each side can go back to doing what it knows best.
    Even when you're right, prosecuting or defending a case is not your business. So settle it early on and put the matter behind you.
    There're no winners in business litigation -- even when you win.
  6. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 336   +32

Business litigation is a sport to these people. I'm not sure if even they know what exactly they're getting out of it anymore. One thing it does is keep them in the press. Any publicity is good publicity and I suppose as long as they look like heavyweights and act like heavyweights, they'll continue being heavyweights.
  7. There's always one bad Apple in any industry, and lookie there, their name matches their legacy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.