Apple, Samsung chiefs to meet in mediation ahead of March court date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple samsung ceos samsung patents mediation

Apple and Samsung have agreed to attend a mediation session before the two electronic giants head to court in March to battle it out over smartphone patents. The session, to be attended by Apple CEO Tim Cook, Samsung CEO Oh-Hyun Kwon as well as their respective in-house lawyers, will take place on or before February 19, according to a recent court filing as outlined by Reuters.

According to the report, the legal teams for each camp met on January 6 to discuss settlement opportunities. No word on how those talks went, however, but I assume nothing was worked out considering the pending mediation.

Before jury election took place in a separate lawsuit between the companies, US District Court Judge Lucy Koh suggested that both parties should try to reach a settlement and that she would like the CEOs of both companies to participate. With a bit of humor, Koh told representatives for both companies that they don’t have to laugh at her, but even her chambers laughed when she mentioned a settlement.

The March trial date is to settle a dispute in which Apple claims Samsung has infringed on its patents. It’ll be the third major trial between the two in recent memory.

Over the last two years, Apple has taken Samsung to court twice in San Jose, California. Both times, Cupertino came out victorious as juries collectively awarded the firm nearly $930 million in damages. Those victories come at a cost, however, as a December filing revealed Apple has paid its top outside legal team nearly $60 million to bring litigation against Samsung.

Permalink to story.

I'm sick and tired of reading about this crap. What's wrong with a little competition?

It's all part of the same competition. In order to beat your opponent you can sell more than them at a better margin, sue the pants off them, or best yet, stop them from selling their products in certain countries.

Until they change the patent laws the courtroom competition will be as big as the sales competition. And arguably more important. 2012 was the first year some of these major tech companies spent more on legal representation than on research and development.

I think the best we can do is stop clicking on the headlines and reading the stories.

Hands down, the time and effort spent settling a case far outweighs the time and effort spent litigating it. And the settlement concludes the dispute so each side can go back to doing what it knows best.
Even when you're right, prosecuting or defending a case is not your business. So settle it early on and put the matter behind you.
There're no winners in business litigation -- even when you win.

Business litigation is a sport to these people. I'm not sure if even they know what exactly they're getting out of it anymore. One thing it does is keep them in the press. Any publicity is good publicity and I suppose as long as they look like heavyweights and act like heavyweights, they'll continue being heavyweights.

There's always one bad Apple in any industry, and lookie there, their name matches their legacy.

Back