Apple says differences in iPhone 6s battery life aren't an issue

Scorpus

Staff member

Over the past couple of days, reports have been spreading that suggest iPhone 6s and 6s Plus smartphones that use a Samsung-made Apple A9 SoC feature worse battery life than devices that contain a TSMC-made A9. The discrepancy has reportedly been as large as 2 hours in GeekBench's battery test, which is pretty significant for two devices that are supposed to be identical

According to Apple, though, the differences in SoCs produced by TSMC and Samsung are nothing to worry about. In a statement regarding the matter, an Apple spokesperson said that the "actual battery life" of the iPhone 6s line varies "within just 2 to 3 percent of each other... even taking into account variable component differences".

The company went on to suggest that the battery life figures reported by some "are not representative of real-world usage," since the benchmarks are too processor heavy and "misleading" to measure real-world battery usage. In short, according to Apple, consumers shouldn't worry about whether their iPhone comes with a TSMC or Samsung SoC.

While the testing done by third parties does suggest TSMC A9s are better than Samsung A9s, it would be unusual for Apple to approve two SoC manufacturers if they produced chips that were significantly different. On top of that, the tests that have been performed are only a small sample (usually just a handful of devices) of the overall iPhone 6s population, so they don't necessarily indicate a wider issue with some A9s.

This leads us to believe that Apple is correct in saying the discrepancy in battery life is not significant, although new tests performed on a much larger sample of iPhones may indicate otherwise, as Apple does have a vested interest in getting people to purchase new iPhones and not return those with Samsung A9s inside.

Permalink to story.

Right, because just saying it's nothing to worry about doesn't raise any suspicion or further questions at all.

So how can people with a Samsung made chip inside their devices return it for a TSMC chip equipped device if it's not faulty? Surely they'll just have to learn to live with it... It's not as though the difference is a yawning chasm, if there is really a difference at all.

Don't know which chip is in my 6s, but a two-hour difference is unacceptable in a phone with a battery this weak. I charged my iPhone 4 twice a week. I have to charge the 6s twice a day.

Yep, NOT an issue...unless you happen to be one of those with the affected phone!

Of course it is not an issue for Apple...
I wonder when they are going to reinvent the "Issue" to explain it to everybody why it is different than the regular... :)

If Iphone's battery life keep getting worse in the same pace, we are going to end up with one of those old-school, gigantic cellular phone-like things that needed a backpack for you to use them... :) my bet is that they will call it the "Ipack"

Of course it is not an issue for Apple...
I wonder when they are going to reinvent the "Issue" to explain it to everybody why it is different than the regular... :)

If Iphone's battery life keep getting worse in the same pace, we are going to end up with one of those old-school, gigantic cellular phone-like things that needed a backpack for you to use them... :) my bet is that they will call it the "Ipack"

Wait, I know.. They'll turn the battery life loss into a "feature".

Back