TechSpot

Apple sells 2 million iPhone 5s in China during opening weekend

By Shawn Knight
Dec 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's flagship iPhone 5 first became available to buyers in mid September albeit only in select regions. The phone just made its debut in China late last week and according to Apple CEO Tim Cook, locals purchased 2 million devices...

Read more

2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 407   +78

Its scary to think of the potential buying power China has.

3. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 228   +14

You scared me at "iPhone 5s".

mario likes this.
  4. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 638   +127

How does it compare to the sales of the Goophone though?

5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

I can see where China would sell that many Iphones. All Iphones are pretty much "*****proof". That and given that Apple is really a forign product, ofcourse China will buy lots of them. Yes its made in China, but its a American company. Seems like many nations on the other side of the Atlantic have USA envy. They want the products from America and they normally dont care how much it costs. So it makes a sick form of sense. Personally I see Apple starting its fall from cyber grace. There has been no new innovation from Apple in quite a few years. Siri being its biggest draw. Pretty much the same phones with the same OS all just packaged differently to draw more cash out of the Apple sheep.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,153   +737

Tyger, you mean the Pacific ocean :). Yes, Japan and China think America is cool, and Americans think Europeans are cool. Also remember that China has far more people than the US... I'm too lazy to figure out the per capita sales, but it may not be significant. We also need some number to compare this too... for all I know the iPhone 5 may be the best selling phone ever in China, or it might be a distant 2nd to cheap freebies that common people can afford.

I also wonder how many more people bought phones they thought were iPhone 5s.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.