Apple shows off its iPhone 6 stress test facilities

Justin Kahn

apple iphones

Many have questioned how well Apple tested its new iPhone 6 Plus after reports surfaced about the new device getting bent and staying that way. To answer those questions, Apple invited a number of media outlets to its testing facility to get more details and an up close look at its process.

Apple says it smashed over 30,000 iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models before setting them out into the wild. According to reports each iPhone went though 5 different levels of stress tests. The device gets spun back and forth more than 8,000 times while restrained on both ends. Apple also has one test where it places pressure on the middle of the phone in different ways at weights of up to 25 kilos, followed by a similar test of the middle of the phone’s display.

In addition to that, Apple also ran the new devices through a series of more practical tests including ensuring iPhone 6 and 6 Plus can handle being placed in the back pocket of a slim pair of jeans, among other things. Reports suggest Apple allows a select group of employees to take them home in order to test them in real world applications as well.

Apparently the series of iPhone 6 models that remained bent were due to an excessive amount force, seemingly more than Apple tested for. Apple’s senior vice president of hardware engineering Dan Riccio told Re/code if a user applies a massive amount of pressure, the phone’s shape can “take a set.” When asked about any other bending complaints for iPhone 6, the svp simply stated the company eventually gets complaints about all its products, but that it does’t happen very often. 

You can take a quick tour of Apple's iPhone 6 test facilities below, courtesy of Re/code:

Permalink to story.

practical tests including ensuring iPhone 6 and 6 Plus can handle being placed in the back pocket of a slim pair of jeans.
Apparently the series of iPhone 6 models that remained bent were due to an excessive amount force, seemingly more than Apple tested for

I don't think I've ever seen a better opening for a good joke about how fat America is getting than those two lines right there.

practical tests including ensuring iPhone 6 and 6 Plus can handle being placed in the back pocket of a slim pair of jeans.
Apparently the series of iPhone 6 models that remained bent were due to an excessive amount force, seemingly more than Apple tested for

I don't think I've ever seen a better opening for a good joke about how fat America is getting than those two lines right there.

They said they do a sit test for 25kgs right? thats 50lbs... I'm not sure what kids are going to be buying these phones, but most people are somewhere between 90lbs and 250lbs. So this stress test is NOT a stress test... this looks like a joke all in itself.

They said they do a sit test for 25kgs right? thats 50lbs... I'm not sure what kids are going to be buying these phones, but most people are somewhere between 90lbs and 250lbs. So this stress test is NOT a stress test... this looks like a joke all in itself.

55lbs***

I dunno about you but I don't buy a $800 phone to sit on... unless of course you have far too much money to even give a /care about breaking your new $800 phone.....

I dunno about you but I don't buy a $800 phone to sit on... unless of course you have far too much money to even give a /care about breaking your new $800 phone.....

Yea me either, however working with the public I see many, many phones in people's back pockets. Whether you or I do it, is irrelevant, because many people out there do.

Do you you think you smart? no one going to buy a 800$ phone to sit on but look at the very practical way, this is not at all stress test just for 25kgs? 25kgs of pressure in practical use? no way, 800$ doesn't worth its better be f*** durable (a car back wheel ran over on my samsung galaxy s4, minor scratches little crack at the edge but nothing major, its white its not visible until you get to close inspection)

Do you you think you smart? no one going to buy a 800$ phone to sit on but look at the very practical way, this is not at all stress test just for 25kgs? 25kgs of pressure in practical use? no way, 800$ doesn't worth its better be f*** durable (a car back wheel ran over on my samsung galaxy s4, minor scratches little crack at the edge but nothing major, its white its not visible until you get to close inspection)
Here's an idea, how about you two finish high school before commenting something like that?
We don't apply weight to things, we apply pressure, which is weight divided by area. 25 Kg over a small area can be a whole lot more pressure than 250 Kg over a wide area, depending on the proportion between those areas.
Also, even if the weight alone beared any relevance (which is doesn't), 25 Kg is still way more weight than someone's jeans' pocket can cause over a phone, on top of the fact that pressure caused from pocket fabric gets spread over a larger area.
And I don't see how the weight of the user is relevant here. We have all seen that the reports were for iPhones bending on pockets through regular use. Don't try to claim now that it was because people were sitting on it all along, that's not what was reported to begin with.

Here's an idea, how about you two finish high school before commenting something like that?
We don't apply weight to things, we apply pressure, which is weight divided by area. 25 Kg over a small area can be a whole lot more pressure than 250 Kg over a wide area, depending on the proportion between those areas.
Also, even if the weight alone beared any relevance (which is doesn't), 25 Kg is still way more weight than someone's jeans' pocket can cause over a phone, on top of the fact that pressure caused from pocket fabric gets spread over a larger area.
And I don't see how the weight of the user is relevant here. We have all seen that the reports were for iPhones bending on pockets through regular use. Don't try to claim now that it was because people were sitting on it all along, that's not what was reported to begin with.

lol

Last edited:
Actually, it's likely easier to bend a phone with a buff individual sitting on it. The phone would hit muscle then bone.

If a 300 pound flabby individual sat on the same phone, the fat would probably deflect around it. Having the effect of something of like a soft mattress.

It's an unscientific observation, but still, which would do more damage, dropping the phone on concrete, or a pillow?

Is this a joke? all machines are so slow and soft. I don't recall concrete is soft on your phone when it drops...

Actually, it's likely easier to bend a phone with a buff individual sitting on it. The phone would hit muscle then bone.

If a 300 pound flabby individual sat on the same phone, the fat would probably deflect around it. Having the effect of something of like a soft mattress.

It's an unscientific observation, but still, which would do more damage, dropping the phone on concrete, or a pillow?
finally someone who actually understands this is just like a pins head why would it puncture anything if it wasnt that sharp and tiny if u would apply a larger area to the pin it would end up useless because it wouldnt apply enough force to puncture anything

The holding rods on the 3 point bending machine are to close together. The bending happens at the volume keys, not the centre of the phone.

Assuming people always sit on flat surfaces.... common guys... lol People sit on bleachers... and thats a hard right angle, in which over 100 lbs of force would be applied to a small line (roughly the width of the phone) We're all just talking out our asses here, huh?

Real world scenarios here, guys... I may be thinking of the extreme ones, but as rare as they may be, it still happens.

Assuming people always sit on flat surfaces.... common guys... lol People sit on bleachers... and thats a hard right angle, in which over 100 lbs of force would be applied to a small line (roughly the width of the phone) We're all just talking about our asses here, huh?
Fixed!

The phone isn't going to hit bone, but a muscular *** is going to apply pressure over a smaller area while the pants apply opposite pressure on the ends, depending on pocket location. Such individuals will not likley be putting their smartphone in their back pocket, though. Not only is it uncomfortable, you can almost feel the phone breaking (source: my ***, my pants, my smartphone).

Fattys have a different issue. Their generous size ensures no central pressure point inside the pocket and therefore fairly even distribution. This changes if said individual sits on something that creates an external pressure source. Say, a metal railing or park bench. In such a scenario, only the most durable phones will survive (source: people watching).

It seems to me the science is settled. If you don't have extra cushioning, buy a belt clip. If you're one of those fluffy types, watch where you park that thing!

Is this issue about phones bending themselves, like how Uri Geller claimed he could bend silverware with the power of his mind? Below Uri bends an iPhone 6 with sheer force of will!
Uri-Geller-bends-iPhone.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...chic-solution-to-unusual-problem-9758314.html

I guess this is the phone for 50 pound anorexic actress bahahhahaha. Apple is junk. Laptop logic board issues, antiflash, anti any old software support, anti any customer complaint on their website. Why don't they just come out and say f u all consumers we are your gods. You don't like it don't buy our products we are the company for stupid crapple sheep.

Actually bending is a new to iPhone 6 features. You can bend it to your liking. It is the curve you own phone concept to compete with other curved phones. hahahahaha.

The real problem here why iphone can be bend easily that's because they use aluminum alloy, unlike the previous model, they use stainless steel alloy

You do realise when people sit on phones generally they don't also lift their leg of the floor and start rolling about on the phone. 25kg is more than ample. Sounds to me you are simply an android fan boy than an unbiased commenter.

Back