Apple surprised by Sapphire partner's bankruptcy filing

By Shawn Knight
Oct 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. GT Advanced Technologies' decision to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier this week took many by surprise, including Apple.

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,110   +1,377

This may have been the intent - drive them down and then buy out for cheap.

Apple isn't withdrawing from sapphire, they re-evaluate. They need it at least for the cameras and watches. Sapphire just wasn't quite ready to be in iPhone 6 due to some quirks related to fragility on impact. But I believe they will work it out for later.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

I'm not so sure. Maybe this GT-A (note the similarity to the game) CEO has plans to grab the loot and go on the lam.
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

I haven't seen a stock plunge that quick since RIM.
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I'm surprised that Apple was surprised. The article states Apple withheld the last installment of $139M because GT's product sucked.
  6. VitalyT

The question is - was it the product that sucked or the sapphire being applied the wrong way...

I don't mean it as a joke on Apple. But we are talking pure physics of materials here. If it really was a proper sapphire and it wasn't suitable, then there may be no simple substitute after all, perhaps something that requires another invention.

The problem, as it turned out, that while sapphire is truly scratch-resistant, second to diamond, it is fragile (breakable) when used in a thin form. I.e. it can resist any scratch or even bend, but not an impact, which is a basic property of crystals.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  7. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

What they are trying to do is technically very difficult "product sucked" is hardly fair
  8. VitalyT

It was physically difficult rather than technically ;) Pure sapphire isn't reliable enough when used in a thin form, it breaks on impact.
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah that is why they probably will use a mixture of sort.
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I think its fair, GT presumably told them that if they had enough money they could produce it in larger pieces. They weren't progressing in line with the expectations they set. From what I've read they could make what they were trying to do, just with very poor yields.