Apple tablet "in full production", yet to be revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to AVI Securities analyst Matt Thornton, Apple's tablet device is now "in full production". Some reportedly expected assembly to begin in late 2009, causing a couple of suppliers to perform worse than anticipated in December. Annual shipments of the tablet could reach 10 million units -- which might explain Apple's increased NAND requirements.

Thornton foresees little cannibalization of the smartphone or netbook markets, and notes that Apple's tablet will mostly target the gap in-between -- sort of where the e-reader sits. "You have limitations on handsets, you have limitations on the netbook and notebook. This is going after that other category that is much more multimedia centric, as opposed to mobile-communications centric or mobile-productivity centric."

Despite all the buzz around Apple's tablet, the company has yet to officially introduce it. We'll just have to see what January 27 brings.

Permalink to story.

Stopped reading after the part where it said Apple.

I'm not sure what's up with the technolust for this Area-51 thing from Apple that we all know exists, but they won't admit to it. The iPhone rocks, and a Macbook Pro is pretty sweet. I'm not sure why I want something in-between these. I just see this tablet as one of those foldable bikes from the 80's. Neat idea, but I don't know a single person who prefers them.

Apple ROI is the best in the business. An OS that kick Windows butt and comes FREE with every machine in its one and only ULTIMATE edition, elegant and roadworthy design, useful features, performance, stability, and support all make the investment more than pay for itself.

Sometime you get what you pay for.

Apple have had one successful product after the other in a business saturated in copy-cats over the last few years. That's why when Apple introduces a new product, only a fool wouldn't listen.

I think the long term applications of this device will turn out to be far more useful in the arenas of education and medicine and perhaps to a lesser extent, retail.

As a general consumer item....not sure.

Then again, the critics said the iphone wouldn't catch on :).........so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back