Apple to fight Nokia in patent infringement lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Settlements and other bargains aren't on the agenda for Cupertino, who have decided to fight Nokia's aggressive move on them in the courts. Apple has released a report to the SEC, in which they made it a point to mention they will be defending themselves "vigorously" in court against Nokia's lawsuits.

The move isn't surprising at all. Nokia bit off quite a bit, and could be seeking a substantial amount of cash from Apple. Nokia is primarily running on the assumption that the patents which other companies license from them apply to the iPhone, though it doesn't take much speculation to assume Nokia's lawsuit is a direct result of slipping sales. Clearly they see Apple as an up and coming threat, and want to at least capitalize on their growth.

Apple also noted this isn't their "official" response -- only that they don't intend to roll over. It remains to be seen how Apple will defend themselves. Given the current state of the smartphone market, this could be an important and interesting case to watch.

Permalink to story.

It's interesting that companies that may be struggling, start looking for a big company to go after. I think it's more about the exposure for the company rather than the $$ (but the big $$ always helps:))

zedster said:
It's interesting that companies that may be struggling, start looking for a big company to go after. I think it's more about the exposure for the company rather than the $$ (but the big $$ always helps:))
I'm not saying this necessarily has anything to do with it, but I think Apple will do anything right now to steal attention away from the release of Windows 7. Which by the way, I can;t help but notice that Microsoft has released many different Windows 7 commercials, touting positive aspects. Whereas Apple has zero commercials about Snow Leopard, but one Negative Windows 7 commercial. I definitely admire a positive ad campaign that replays the same commercial over and over. You may see Windows 7 ads a lot, but at least there are many of them.

The move isn't surprising at all. Nokia bit off quite a bit, and could be seeking a substantial amount of cash from Apple. Nokia is primarily running on the assumption that the patents which other companies license from them apply to the iPhone, though it doesn't take much speculation to assume Nokia's lawsuit is a direct result of slipping sales. Clearly they see Apple as an up and coming threat, and want to at least capitalize on their growth.
So let me get this straight. Nokia has legitimised licensing deals with other major companies already? Fact 2: Nokia informed Apple they were infringing ON RELEASE of the iPhone. Negotiations for licensing broke down and now Nokia is suing. And YOU are insinuating Nokia is suing as a direct result of slipping sales. I wonder who is biased here?

This is kinda silly , Nokia is one of the strongest companies out there , its holding pretty straight . I agree with Darth Shiv up there , he stated good facts :)

nokia invented the ***** proof phone and have continued to make reliable and easy to use phones ever since, every one outside of america uses nokia, i know 3 people with an iphone. not so popular outside of america.

Good point Darth Shiv, but Nokia have left it quite a while before they've decided to file a lawsuit if they have already informed Apple of the license infringement when the iPhone was released.

Without knowing ALL of the facts of this case it's impossible to make a fair assessment. However, if some of the comments above are true - and Apple was already informed at the inception of the iPhone and disregarded Nokia's claims anyway - then they should be punished.

Rules only work when they apply to everyone - not just to companies we don't use or like.

(And I'm an iPhone user, 3G and 3GS)

do you have any evidence that apple is using Nokia's technology, paynetrain, or are you just shitting in a sack and then smearing it on your keyboard?

Guest said:
do you have any evidence that apple is using Nokia's technology, paynetrain, or are you just shitting in a sack and then smearing it on your keyboard?
The lawsuit will sort that out. Nokia believes Apple does. And the reason Nokia hasn't sued until now is because the two parties were trying to come to a licensing agreement but the talks had only recently broke down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back