TechSpot

Apple to fight Nokia in patent infringement lawsuit

By Justin
Oct 28, 2009
  1. Settlements and other bargains aren't on the agenda for Cupertino, who have decided to fight Nokia's aggressive move on them in the courts. Apple has released a report to the SEC, in which they made it a point to mention they will be defending themselves "vigorously" in court against Nokia's lawsuits.

Read the whole story

2. giorgiodechir

giorgiodechir TS Rookie

oho, time to bring the pain steve jobs. lol go apple!

3. Zedster

Zedster TS Rookie

It's interesting that companies that may be struggling, start looking for a big company to go after. I think it's more about the exposure for the company rather than the $$ (but the big $$ always helps:))

4. Deso

Deso TS Rookie Posts: 130

I hope nokia wins, Apple needs a beat down their Iphone has been to succesful lol

5. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

I'm not saying this necessarily has anything to do with it, but I think Apple will do anything right now to steal attention away from the release of Windows 7. Which by the way, I can;t help but notice that Microsoft has released many different Windows 7 commercials, touting positive aspects. Whereas Apple has zero commercials about Snow Leopard, but one Negative Windows 7 commercial. I definitely admire a positive ad campaign that replays the same commercial over and over. You may see Windows 7 ads a lot, but at least there are many of them.

6. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

Meh, I like my HTC. =)

7. Souljacker

Souljacker TS Rookie Posts: 24

I like my Nokia. I'd like to see them knock Apple down a few pegs.

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

So let me get this straight. Nokia has legitimised licensing deals with other major companies already? Fact 2: Nokia informed Apple they were infringing ON RELEASE of the iPhone. Negotiations for licensing broke down and now Nokia is suing. And YOU are insinuating Nokia is suing as a direct result of slipping sales. I wonder who is biased here?

9. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

This is kinda silly , Nokia is one of the strongest companies out there , its holding pretty straight . I agree with Darth Shiv up there , he stated good facts :)

10. nokia invented the ***** proof phone and have continued to make reliable and easy to use phones ever since, every one outside of america uses nokia, i know 3 people with an iphone. not so popular outside of america.

11. Rig

Rig TS Rookie Posts: 32

Good point Darth Shiv, but Nokia have left it quite a while before they've decided to file a lawsuit if they have already informed Apple of the license infringement when the iPhone was released.

12. Without knowing ALL of the facts of this case it's impossible to make a fair assessment. However, if some of the comments above are true - and Apple was already informed at the inception of the iPhone and disregarded Nokia's claims anyway - then they should be punished.

Rules only work when they apply to everyone - not just to companies we don't use or like.

(And I'm an iPhone user, 3G and 3GS)

13. Apple needs to grow up.

14. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 TS Rookie Posts: 88

fail apple. Every other company that uses Nokia's technology pays them a premium... Why are you so special?

15. do you have any evidence that apple is using Nokia's technology, paynetrain, or are you just shitting in a sack and then smearing it on your keyboard?

16. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

The lawsuit will sort that out. Nokia believes Apple does. And the reason Nokia hasn't sued until now is because the two parties were trying to come to a licensing agreement but the talks had only recently broke down.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.