TechSpot

Apple to unveil connected smart home initiative at WWDC

By Shawn Knight
May 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Interest in Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference increased a few notches on Monday thanks to a new report that claims the Cupertino-based company is planning to reveal a connected smart home initiative during the keynote.

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

At Apples overinflated prices you'd probably have to re-mortgage your house to afford their things, something I wouldn't dream of doing.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  3. Tecsavvy

Tecsavvy TS Rookie

This move would be great! The next frontier is full home service and with apples STYLE approach I'd definitely buy.

4. Thats because you are poor

5. Just what I thought.

6. "We’ve seen a number of smart home patents from Apple surface"

clever wording

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I think this is a good things. Only because it creates competition and makes the smart home initiative more of an active thing since a huge company like Apple is beginning to take a position.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  8. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 190   +30

And a $250 Nest thermostat isn't overpriced?

I agree with JC713, with Apple and other in the home automation business, it should bring the prices down as more competition commences.

9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,385   +105

I like corningware home of the future transparent tech approach better.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

Oh I agree there should be competition but mark my words, Apples stuff will always be highly overinflated. There's no need to jump on the home automation bandwagon (for me at least) for a long while yet, I'll just let the players duke it out.

11. MalcolmTucker

MalcolmTucker TS Rookie

Don't forget-- The Apple devices likely won't have replaceable batteries, or a SD Card. In 2014, these features are *Amazing* strategic breakthroughs in the industry of disposable devices or companies struggling to maintain a leadership position.

"Design-For-Disposability" is still the best way to maintain employment at Apple Factories in China, considering Tim Cook was promoted after solving suicides by installing nets outside of windows at the Apple Factory.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  12. You'll have to get a new home every 2 years so the software isn't outdated though...........