Apple TV now costs $69 and will be the exclusive HBO Now launch partner next month

Jos

Staff

apple hbo

Apple’s “Spring Forward” event is underway and first thing on the agenda was Apple TV. No, there’s no new hardware just yet, but Tim Cook had a couple of big announcements to get you excited about the now ageing set-top box. 

As it turns out, the rumor mill was spot on about Apple being a launch partner for HBO Now. The service, which cord cutters have been clamouring for for ages, is launching exclusively on Apple TV as well as the iPhone and iPad as soon as next month. As expected, the service will be priced at $14.99 per month, with the first month free if you subscribe by April.

apple hbo

“We love HBO,” Cook said. "They’ve created groundbreaking new shows that have shaped our culture, like the Sopranos, Entourage, and Sex and the City. On April 12, Veep and Silicon Valley come back, along with Game of Thrones."

Though not mentioned explicitly, we're guessing HBO Now will be limited to the US. The current HBO Go app on Apple TV devices is US-only, meaning paying HBO subscribers (through a traditional cable provider) in other countries are stuck with streaming to Apple TV over Airplay via the mobile HBO Go apps. This time around, though, you might be able to get around it with a VPN -- wink, wink

We're also left wondering just how long the HBO Now exclusivity window will be. (Update: Apple will have the online exclusive for three months, though HBO Now may still come to existing pay-TV partners before that.)

Tim Cook pointed out how the Apple TV has come a long way to become a category leader with 25 million units sold. But they want to make it more accessible -- likely in the face of increased competition or in anticipation to new hardware coming later this year. To that end the device is getting a considerable price cut which will bring the entry price from $99 down to $69.

Permalink to story.

HBO Now is expensive and it's going to be exclusive to Apple TV, I was considering subscribing just to watch Game of Thrones, but now I will have to find other ways.

HBO Now is expensive and it's going to be exclusive to Apple TV, I was considering subscribing just to watch Game of Thrones, but now I will have to find other ways.

The exclusivity deal is only for 3 months, after that you can probably expect it to arrive on other popular boxes like the Roku and Fire TV. As for the price, that's more or less what people pay to get HBO on their cable subscription, I wasn't really expecting them to match Netflix.

Just use the Popcorn Time PC or Android app, free city USA.

The exclusivity deal is only for 3 months, after that you can probably expect it to arrive on other popular boxes like the Roku and Fire TV. As for the price, that's more or less what people pay to get HBO on their cable subscription, I wasn't really expecting them to match Netflix.

Those three months take up the entirety of Game of Thrones season 5. Once the season is over who gives a @#$% about HBO?

This makes two services that are aimed at cord-cutters and are no cheaper or more expensive than being tethered to the cord. I think it will be interesting to see how this pans out in the future, however, right now, I do not think these services (or the content providers these services are placating) get it. I would not be surprised if adoption among astute cord cutters is low.

How? Because it isn't 4k? It is 1080p and works fine, and they have been continually adding channels.
I don't mind the current model but I feel they should really update the hardware. A faster CPU and networking hardware is definitely a nice addition for the future. I just love updated hardware haha!

Back