TechSpot

Apple unveils iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 with marginal improvements

By Shawn Knight
Oct 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple unveiled a pair of new iPads at a media gathering held on its own campus in Cupertino today. The iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3 are both incremental updates meaning there aren't any new groundbreaking design changes...

Read more

2. It is not 6.1 mm thin. It is 6.1 mm thick. "Millimeters thin" is marketing dung.

Uvindu likes this.
  3. Increasing those 16gb of local memory must be the hardest economical, I mean, technological challenge ever...

4. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

So the ONLY difference, and I mean the ONLY difference between the iPad Mini 2 and iPad mini 3 is the touch ID. But they'll take an extra 100USD for it though

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah it is really pathetic. It is probably because they want to see how it does with the 6+ now out in the wild. Look at Google. They dumped the Nexus 7 because of the Nexus 6. It could be the same with Apple. That said though, they should have put all the upgrades of the iPad Air 2 into the iPad Mini 3.

6. Mieksr

Mieksr TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +7

I know Monument Valley in the above picture, but what are the other apps shown?

7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

Since the disney magic of it (apple owns disney stock) brought me homebaked apple strudel today at mcdonalds bingo, I'm satisfied. Sounds more like facebook. That's a lot of pixels. For us losing our eyesight as we get old (altho I regained it lately), I don't think such hi res matters much.

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Suppose you can look at it this way, but they are still selling the Mini 2. The Mini 3 is $100 more than the 2, but it is NOT a $100 increase over what they were selling the 2 for yesterday. It is exactly the same price, so the story could be that the Mini 2 got a $100 price drop.