Apple Watch reviews hit the web, here's what everyone is saying

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple watch apple mobile apps watch smartwatch wristwatch wearable

A handful of tech journalists have been playing with the Apple Watch over the past week or so and today, their reviews hit the web. The general consensus is that it is the best smartwatch to date but considering the competition, that’s not very telling. Here’s a general rundown of what reviewers liked and disliked about Apple’s inaugural wearable.

The New York Times:

What’s more, unlike previous breakthrough Apple products, the Watch’s software requires a learning curve that may deter some people. There’s a good chance it will not work perfectly for most consumers right out of the box, because it is best after you fiddle with various software settings to personalize use. Indeed, to a degree unusual for a new Apple device, the Watch is not suited for tech novices.

Re/Code:

Apple has used a combination of techniques to try to stretch battery life. One is the black screen. Another is a lack of manual control over brightness: Your watch display is either at 50 percent, where I kept it, or 100 percent. There’s an ambient light sensor that dynamically adjusts the brightness of the display to your environment. And finally, the iPhone is still handling most of the app load.

When your watch does die, recharging takes a long time — around two and a half hours to get the watch to 100 percent.

The Verge:

There’s no question that the Apple Watch is the most capable smartwatch available today. It is one of the most ambitious products I’ve ever seen; it wants to do and change so much about how we interact with technology. But that ambition robs it of focus: it can do tiny bits of everything, instead of a few things extraordinarily well. For all of its technological marvel, the Apple Watch is still a smartwatch, and it’s not clear that anyone’s yet figured out what smartwatches are actually for.

CNET:

The step-up steel and gold models have potentially more damage-resistant sapphire crystals, but it's hard to judge right now whether the Ion-X strengthened glass on the Sport model will perform.

I'm not even going to engage the Edition in this discussion: that gold watch is not for you. Pick the entry-level aluminum or the stainless-steel version, and don't spend up for a super-expensive band unless you have money to burn. I'd probably buy the most affordable model I could. Apple's bands are well crafted, but they're priced steeply. I'd wait and see what third-party bands pop up that could cost far less: those will help transform a Sport watch into something that looks more high-end.

The Wall Street Journal:

People who can identify it immediately ask if I like it, and if they should buy one.

I’ve told most: No.

“Wait, what?” you ask. “I thought you liked this thing!” I do. But every time I gaze down to admire it, I start seeing how the next one will look better. You could say the same about many fashion objects, but watches should be timeless (ironically). Unlike the Cartier I got for college graduation, the original Apple Watch’s beauty will soon fade. Unless you opt for the cheapest $350 sport version, you should really wait for the future.

Bloomberg:

The watch is not life-changing. It is, however, excellent. Apple will sell millions of these devices, and many people will love and obsess over them. It is a wonderful component of a big ecosystem that the company has carefully built over many years. It is more seamless and simple than any of its counterparts in the marketplace. It is, without question, the best smartwatch in the world.

So Apple has succeeded in its first big task with its watch. It made something that lives up to the company’s reputation as an innovator and raised the bar for a whole new class of devices. Its second task—making me feel that I need this thing on my wrist every day—well, I’m not quite sure it’s there yet. It’s still another screen, another distraction, another way to disconnect, as much as it is the opposite. The Apple Watch is cool, it’s beautiful, it’s powerful, and it’s easy to use. But it’s not essential. Not yet.

Permalink to story.

"Apple's bands are well crafted, but they're priced steeply. I'd wait and see what third-party bands pop up that could cost far less: those will help transform a Sport watch into something that looks more high-end."

Inb4 proprietary band brackets.

From the wall street journal post

"People who can identify it immediately ask if I like it, and if they should buy one."

If that doesn't say Isheep I don't know what does.

Why does a stranger have to tell you what you should or shouldn't buy.

I see this from many many apple users does apple or tech editors have to make all the decisions for you?

There’s no question that the Apple Watch is the most capable smartwatch available today. It is one of the most ambitious products I’ve ever seen; it wants to do and change so much about how we interact with technology. But that ambition robs it of focus: it can do tiny bits of everything, instead of a few things extraordinarily well. For all of its technological marvel, the Apple Watch is still a smartwatch, and it’s not clear that anyone’s yet figured out what smartwatches are actually for.
This one seems the most accurate to me. The 'best smartwatch' sounds a lot to me like the 'best snake oil'.

We still think of a watch as a small smartphone. Why not think outside the box a little Apple? The thing has bluetooth right? So sell some Apple door locks that'll unlock my door when I'm near it. Put a garage door opener app on that thing. How about a way to tell time that doesn't require you to look at it, like a buzzing pattern you can activate with a button so you don't have to look at your watch when your boss is rambling on and on about whatever you're supposed to be paying attention to.
There, ya go Apple, I just gave you your iWatch 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. God knows you won't put more than one new feature into each major version.

This one seems the most accurate to me. The 'best smartwatch' sounds a lot to me like the 'best snake oil'.

We still think of a watch as a small smartphone. Why not think outside the box a little Apple? The thing has bluetooth right? So sell some Apple door locks that'll unlock my door when I'm near it. Put a garage door opener app on that thing. How about a way to tell time that doesn't require you to look at it, like a buzzing pattern you can activate with a button so you don't have to look at your watch when your boss is rambling on and on about whatever you're supposed to be paying attention to.
There, ya go Apple, I just gave you your iWatch 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. God knows you won't put more than one new feature into each major version.

yea but can't they just make that happen with the phone they already require you to have in your pocket?hrs to charge that little thing? I just don't get, not one bit.

Everything about these reviews just cries Apple-bias. The Apple trend is a fashion thing, and while there is a focus on functionality for those with more than a handful of brain cells, it can do no more than any other smartwatch from a competitor, and it doesn't look any better either - not by a long shot. The sports and gold versions are ugly as hell, and with metal band the device is thick and square and -purely on an aesthetic level- feels like comparing the iPhone 1 to the sleekness of the Galaxy S6 that you get with A) normal watches and B) some of the classier, lesser known brands that are working to make smartwatches aesthetically attractive like Withings.
Though credit where credit is due, the advert on TV for their Watch is really good.

"The Apple Watch is cool, it’s beautiful, it’s powerful, and it’s easy to use"

Of all the things in those quotes that made me cringe this was the most so
I don't like this gadget as much as you do so I wasn't just cringing, I was also hunting furiously for the Alka Seltzer.

Everything about these reviews just cries Apple-bias. The Apple trend is a fashion thing, and while there is a focus on functionality for those with more than a handful of brain cells, it can do no more than any other smartwatch from a competitor, and it doesn't look any better either - not by a long shot. The sports and gold versions are ugly as hell, and with metal band the device is thick and square and -purely on an aesthetic level- feels like comparing the iPhone 1 to the sleekness of the Galaxy S6 that you get with A) normal watches and B) some of the classier, lesser known brands that are working to make smartwatches aesthetically attractive like Withings.
Though credit where credit is due, the advert on TV for their Watch is really good.
It's a good thing Apple doesn't advertise on TV here because if I have to sit through their adverts I'll wind up having nightmares.

A quality watch is an investment. I cant see this ever being the case with smartwatches, I see no real use for one in my life at the moment.

A quality watch is an investment. I cant see this ever being the case with smartwatches, I see no real use for one in my life at the moment.

1st gen Apple watches have the potential to be investments. All subsequent offerings–as well as current alternatives–on the other hand, have a near certain future as junk.

1st gen Apple watches have the potential to be investments. All subsequent offerings–as well as current alternatives–on the other hand, have a near certain future as junk.

Very true! did not think of that.

Only if I can bury it in a box so that I Never Ever have to actually look at it for the 20 years it will take for my 'investment' to 'mature'.

Only if I can bury it in a box so that I Never Ever have to actually look at it for the 20 years it will take for my 'investment' to 'mature'.

Never opened items fetch a pretty penny. Good thinking.

From the wall street journal post

Why does a stranger have to tell you what you should or shouldn't buy.

I see this from many many apple users does apple or tech editors have to make all the decisions for you?

If you don't have something.... wouldn't it make sense to ask someone who DOES have it whether it's good?

Especially when it hasn't even officially come out yet?

Yes, there are millions of sheep who will buy this - but getting someone's opinion on something doesn't make you an *****...

If you don't have something.... wouldn't it make sense to ask someone who DOES have it whether it's good?

Especially when it hasn't even officially come out yet?

Yes, there are millions of sheep who will buy this - but getting someone's opinion on something doesn't make you an *****...

Yes but that's not what I see from apple users. Its fine to get an opinion but one should always get the device in hand when possible before making a purchasing decision. It prevents buyers remorse and in this day and age should be a mandatory practice.

Best smart watch is the gear s with nice curve screen.hands down
dont wast your time on apple watch hype long dead gear s beat it .
apple watch is so far behind its sad.

Back