Apple's new Mac Pro available as of tomorrow starting at $2,999

By Shawn Knight
Dec 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has said their new Mac Pro will hit the market tomorrow, December 19, making good on the promise of a December ship date announced back in October. If you still have a lot of wiggle room on your holiday...

Read more
  2. I-ashtray
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,711   +286

I would get one simply because it (VAGUELY) looks like r2d2.
  4. Your computer looks better?
  5. My two year old computer is better and it cost me a little less than 3k (2 years ago...). And I can max out any game at 2560x1440. Anyways, Apple may as well charge $4,999, isuckers will pay anything.
  6. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,088   +723

If this had dual CPUs, it would be a really good deal. Too bad it only has a quad core and only 256GB of storage.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,221   +322

It is configurable all the way to 12-core and 1TB of storage.
  8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,443   +267

Correction: It is configurable all the way to $10k and up ;)
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,088   +723

Yeah but what about the price tag xD? I can build a dual Xeon E5 workstation for about 4-5K. I wonder if it is about the same.
  10. All that money spent and it still cant run quake live anymore.
  11. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 857   +273

I wonder if this will be displayed in showrooms with a price tag of "LOL"
  12. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,221   +322

I would wait till tomorrow when it is announced, before making final judgements.

There was a rumour that they might announce a 4K monitor at the same time, because if they don't, this whole new bucket won't be worth a spit, since it is primarily targeted at graphics designers and editors. Their major AD claim is support for 3 x 4K monitors, without which it turns into a charade.
  13. Looks like the automatic trashcan I own.

14. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 902   +71

I'm with those who say that it looks like a trashcan. It's embarrassing to admit that because the design is pretty clever, and the way it moves heat through the device is certainly unique. I don't know how efficient or functional that cooling design will be, but I could appreciate how quiet they claim it to be at idle. And I like that they offer 802.11ac WiFi plus 2 ea. 1 Gbps Ethernet ports. But personally, I would have liked to see a single GPU option and something in the $1.5 - 2K price range.

The 450W power supply looks small for four GPU's and one full sized CPU.
  15. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 879   +52

I'm curious if it sounds like a jet engine when the fan is going at full speed.
  16. Acespaces

Acespaces TechSpot Member Posts: 69

Damn this will cost a pretty penny. 300,000 pennies and it doesnt even include a mouse, monitor or keyboard. Not only if buy quality speakers with this bad boy to! Your looking at a final price point of about 3,400 Doll hairs.
  17. Dear Steve Jobs,

Apple's new mac doesn't look premium. It looks like a shitty capsule with a nuclear reactor inside.

Your fan,
    Pewdiepie
  18. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 79   +8

I don't think Steve Jobs will ever be able to read that tho -.-'
  19. To all the haters. Have you actually go through the components to see how much they cost from a store like amazon?
    And those saying its an ashtray, they managed to build those components in such a small factor with noise reduction (im still wating on that though), and that's what you come up with? An ashtray? Lol seriously try harder.

For the components inside and the form factor, the price is actually ok.
    And no, I don't own any mac. I just like to see a company trying to do something unique (given that its good and functional) .
  20. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Newcomer, in training Posts: 143   +36

No one is buying this to play games. It's aimed at professionals and small to medium-sized businesses that perform audio/video and rendering work. Also, given that Apple products are notorious for keeping their resale value very high even 3-4 years out, it's an expensive investment upfront but over time, it is rather cheap if you can manage to resell it. Secondly, people who buy these computers and own their own businesses tend to write off computer equipment anyway, which further reduces the cost of ownership.
  21. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,179   +507

The next time Apple comes up anything unique on their own it'll be the first time. There isn't an idea, design or patent they haven't copied (or stolen) from someone else first.
  22. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 79   +8

It really depends on the type of work you do for a living and whether you feel comfortable with apple's OS or MS's OS... Computers like these always cost alot of money and I would like to say the next thing about the unique stuf etc. etc.

I rather see it as a "stolen" or "copied" which works fantastic than a fresh and unique idea full of plants and bees (Bugs). Because when I decide to buy something like this its work related and I dont want to spend too much time fixing bugs or calling the company to solve them for me instead of doing my work.
  23. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,711   +286

lies. all lies.
    H3llion and PirateShepardN7 like this.
  24. ryan29121

ryan29121 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 182

"It was clearly time for a redesign and Apple hasn’t disappointed."

-The design looks awful. Looks like a trash can.
  25. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 293   +42

I did check actually and a very quick run through put it at around $500 less than Apple, that is with some parts being better like the GPU since the W7000 has more RAM than their version and the MB being dual CPU and 3 PCIe x16 slots since I couldn't find a good one that is single slot and dual PCIe x16. I am sure if I tried for more than 5 minutes I could do even better. I will say it took more than one store to get the parts, but overall not difficult.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.