Apple's new Macs, 5K monitor reportedly due this fall; iPad Pro updates arriving next year

midian182

Staff member

Apple is showing off the iPhone 7 at a media event on September 7, but the company will be releasing even more products before the year is out, including new versions of the iMac, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air, along with a 5K monitor, according to a report from Bloomberg.

Back in May, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the company would introduce an updated range of MacBooks in the fourth quarter of 2016. Now, more reports are supporting his claim; Apple is said to be announcing the new Macs at a hardware event in October.

The new MacBook Air won’t be getting a major overhaul; instead, it will come with a USB Type-C port. There is little information on the new iMac, but one model is said to offer a dedicated AMD graphics card.

Apple discontinued sales of its Thunderbolt display earlier this year. Its replacement will apparently come in the form of a new 5K monitor built in collaboration with LG Electronics.

The biggest update will be found in the new MacBook Pro. The OLED display touch bar that replaces the function keys has seemingly been confirmed; Apple is referring to it as the “Dynamic Function Row.” Additionally, the new Pro will reportedly be slimmer than its predecessor and come with a flatter keyboard.

The iPad Pro will also be getting an update, though not until the first half of next year. Updated software will bring more functionality to the Apple Pencil by allowing its use within multiple apps, including Mail, Safari, and iMessage. A brand new iPad Pro tablet, this one with a 10.5-inch screen, is expected to arrive sometime later in 2017.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully they will do better here than in the Irish market. Trying to put a gun to the Irish politicians heads is a rather stupid move on the part of Apple and Tim Cook. If those taxes are truly owed, his comments could be considered threatening and with the mood of the EU anything but friendly, he could suddenly find his products and anything with the APPLE logo banned. Now, realistically there is little, if any chance of that happening, but we have certainly seen stranger things happen in Europe over the past decade!

I don't get why they're trying to add as many K's as possible...1080p is far more than sufficient for a laptop? plus it consumes less battery...How high does the resolution have to go? "And now, the new Macbook Air Pro Slim, with a unique 24K display, for more useless pixels you can't even discern!"

Oh and a freaking pencil? You charge 20+$ for a pencil?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why they're trying to add as many K's as possible...1080p is far more than sufficient for a laptop? plus it consumes less battery...How high does the resolution have to go? "And now, the new Macbook Air Pro Slim, with a unique 24K display, for more useless pixels you can't even discern!"

15" MBP with a 5K screen works for me. 1080p is only useful for gaming and light text editing.

With that OLED screen we don't really need the menu / finder bar much anymore. Get rid of it and get with the times Apple... put the menu bar in the damn window already. All the cool kids are doing it!

Seriously though it is a hassle when working with multiple windows. I have to click on another window first before I can use its menu bar. And on high resolution screens, and even more so an issue with multiple monitors I have to move the mouse back to monitor 1 and the top of the screen to get to a menu for my window in the lower right corner of monitor 2. This is ridiculous... It is fine on a laptop when you are trapped in 1920x1200 but beyond that it starts to become a real annoyance. Just get rid of it already! You can put the interactive icons for running programs in the notification area. And for desktops just make a movable low profile bar in place of the OLED screen that is on the laptops.

15" MBP with a 5K screen works for me. 1080p is only useful for gaming and light text editing.

I disagree... the pixel density is so high it is pointless for just about everything except photos.

I disagree... the pixel density is so high it is pointless for just about everything except photos.

Exactly and 1080p does the job perfectly for the average user. I never have understood their interest for such high PPI.

Once apple can make a tablet running Mac OS (OSX) then I will call it a Pro model, until that happens its just an extra large phone.

Depends on your profession. In graphics design, a high pixel density helps a ton.

Depends on your profession. In graphics design, a high pixel density helps a ton.

If you're a graphics designer you're not going to be primarily working from your laptop.

A flatter keyboard? Well, I was kind of interested until I heard that. Its already bordering on too flat to use. Don't they understand that totally flat, smooth plastic keys are incredibly difficult to type on?

Wow, retina.. wasn't?

Batten down the Pixels!
-I already battened 'em down-
Well, Batten 'em down Again! We'll teach those pixels..

who, I ask you, Who? can have enuf PPI? More, dammit, MORRRE PPI, Every Time I SHOP!

Does this remind anyone of the horsepower wars of days gone by? "I -NEED- 800HP to pick up DQ for the kids!" (They can't ride along cuz the rear seats are just for show)

Back