TechSpot

Apple's OS X 10.10 Yosemite: big UI overhaul, introduces "continuity," free release coming this fall

By Jos
Jun 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple kicked off its annual developer conference by unveiling the next major release of OS X, named Yosemite after California's Yosemite National Park. The OS X 10.10 update appears to bring more subtle refinements compared to feature-packed releases in previous...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,431

I have watched through the whole thing live, and that is an awesome progress!!!

Will somebody, please, call Microsoft and tell them that they suck?

Thank you!

3. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 859   +340

I liked the older less-flat style better.

RKreuk and H3llion like this.
  4. VitalyT

There are known solutions to the "flat" problems ;)

5. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

Your constant bashing on MS is getting tiring. I did not look at this article to hear whining about MS...

Otherwise, I do like the flat look. My BB10 device has had it for a while, Windows 8 has it (though that is but 1 of the few things I like about W8), and now it looks like Apple is following suite with all of it's products...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  6. VitalyT

That is whining ;)

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow these new features are stellar. It makes my decision to get an iPad over the Surface Pro 3 pretty set and stone now.

8. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 830   +54

Not convinced the flat ios look is better but it's newer and that's what makes it desirable I guess.

9. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Booster Posts: 221   +14

They should have done this to the iOS 8. This is what you call a OS upgrade. Finally

10. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,260   +223

In terms of the UI, it sucks mega-balls. It's unimaginative flat design bs. Still better than Metro I suppose.

11. je29836

je29836 TS Rookie Posts: 26

Android controls over 50% of the smartphone market. Too little too late apple and yes the flat UI sucks ballz

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. True that

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Who cares? I still like Win XP.

Nobina likes this.
  14. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,608   +295

Not copying Samsung at all are we Apple?

15. Meanwhile on the iOS front, Apple is unapologetically taking features from Android including widgets, app video previews and third party keyboards. Seems like hypocrisy to me.

Arris likes this.
  16. This is nightmare come alive. They re-made the UI to look as awful as iOS7. This is the end for me. I have to work all day watching the screen, and the "old" UI is what I switched to Mac for. Why are they doing this to me? It's probably some agent crawled into their management to destroy Apple from inside. I can't imagine any professional to be happy looking at the 80's style flat task bar and unnatural acid colours of the icons/buttons. This is terrible news, the worst I had in months.

17. Totally agree!
    I wish someone will fork Darwin to make os x 10 compatible os, with old perfect aqua design.
    I wont upgrade my osx, better to move to linux.

18. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Don't let Apple's lawyers hear you blaspheme like that. They're readying the case to sue Samsung for patent infringement as we speak.

Arris likes this.
  19. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Wow, this is one of the largest cases of self-entitlement I've seen here, or anywhere.

I think you have lost touch with reality and/or you have a super privileged life for this to be the worst news you've had in months.

Arris likes this.
  20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

21. Absolutely. The new look is ugly as hell and amateurish. Looks like a Linux with a bad them applied.

22. RKreuk

RKreuk TS Rookie

I couldn't agree more.

23. I've had a blackberry, an android, an iphone, a dell, an ipad, an imac, and a macbook, so basically I've tried every operating system out there minus symbian. I think yosemite is the least attractive out of all of them. Steve jobs is rolling in his grave.