Apple's product launch event will now take place on March 21, one day before its DoJ court case

midian182

Staff member

The rumored date of Apple’s upcoming product event has changed yet again. Originally, outlets reported that it would be held on March 15, but this eventually changed to March 22. Now, a report from Buzzfeed claims that the Cupertino company will be revealing a series of new products on March 21. The publication cites “sources in a position to know” and follows a previous report of a date change from Korean site KG News.

It’s possible that Apple has been forced to alter the dates because of its ongoing battle with the Department of Justice over the San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone. It’s worth noting that March 21 is just one day before Apple is scheduled to face the US government in court.

The product launch is said to be a “smaller scale event,” which hints that it may take place at Apple’s Town Hall in Cupertino.

The event will see Apple unveil its 4-inch iPhone SE, which was previously known as the 5se. The device is very similar to the 2013 iPhone 5s and is expected to replace the older smartphone in Apple’s lineup. It’s likely to include an A9 SoC and support Apple Pay, alway-on Siri activation, and the ability to take Live Photos.

It's also possible that we'll see a revamped 9.7-inch iPad Pro featuring the same A9X chip as the 12-inch version, as well as a new selection of Apple Watch bands.

None of the products Apple is unveiling at the event are likely to set the tech world ablaze with excitement, but they do offer a few interesting updates to some of the company’s current lineup. It may be for the best that Apple isn’t showing off something it considers revolutionary, as it would no doubt be overshadowed by the impending court case.

Permalink to story.

Just in case anyone wanted to know...the courts are the apple iphone killer - not samsung.

We'll likely see an updated MacBook Pro 13/15 here, as well, and possibly a (long-awaited) update to the MacBook Air. IIRC, the 12" MacBook already uses current-gen hardware (it was the first model to use the current Core m processors) so there's nothing really to update for it.

Meh, I'm not interested in their gadgets, I'm interested in their court battle.

Apple will undoubtedly use this event to talk about the hearing. Its not unlike when a company releases their newest products a day before their competition, and security will undoubtedly be a major selling point this time around.

I know I said otherwise here and it's not going the government's way according to the precident of this case:
http://abc7chicago.com/news/judge-d...e-to-unlock-iphone-in-narcotics-case/1224501/
I now think apple should unlock the phone for such a terrorist act. They don't have to blow it way out of proportion and think the government is asking to unlock all phones. It looks dumbbell as there must be customer service numbers to reset passwords if you're in possession of the phone.

Apple will undoubtedly use this event to talk about the hearing. Its not unlike when a company releases their newest products a day before their competition, and security will undoubtedly be a major selling point this time around.
I'm not so sure. Their legal battle is a very touchy subject. They're dammed if they do and they dammed if they don't comply with the DoJ's "request".

Back