Apple's retail stores reach new record revene of $57.6 per visitor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple stock may be on the decline but you wouldn’t know it if you were to walk into an Apple Store. That’s because Cupertino’s retail outfits have reached new record revenue of $57.60 per visitor according to Horace Dediu from research firm Asymco. Around $12 of that is profit, we’re told.

During the first quarter, average revenue per Apple Store topped out around $13 million which is the highest level ever for a non-holiday quarter. The figures show that Apple is still continuing to outperform all other retailers on a per-square-foot basis by a very large margin.

apple revenue apple store retail store

Apple is managing to pull in some 250,000 visitors per store per quarter on average (over the past 12 months) which is a nice increase from roughly 170,000 people per store per quarter in the 12 months ending Q1 2010. Apple employs about 110 people per store – an increase of more than double since 2007.

apple revenue apple store retail store

Asymco believes the increase could partially be due to increased floor space found in newer stores and renovations performed on older stores. Interestingly enough, the new throughput rate could be an upper bound due to fire regulations.

All of this is from a venture that many doubted would ever be successful. For example, president of research firm Channel Marketing noted after the grand opening of the first Apple Stores that he gives them two years before they’re turning out the lights on a very painful and expensive mistake. Yet here we are 12 years later with Apple having opened more than 400 retail stores across the globe.

Permalink to story.

They reach that new record by having too few stores in too populated areas. Living near NYC, the Apple stores within a 5 mile radius are all packed worse than the manufacturing plants that make these products. They fail to mention the majority of "Customers" are also returning customers, in need of replacement/repair.

I dread every visit to those stores. They should have their products available at non-apple stores like Microcenter. At least you can breathe while being helped there.

Cupertino?s retail outfits have reached new record revenue of $57.60 per visitor
Interesting. I've been into Apple stores a few times and never bought a thing. Have the Geniuses been pickpocketing me? Got to love these crazy statistics.

Not to mention the average price of anything in that store is PREMIUM. Comparing avg $/customer to other stores that sell more cheaper items is silly.

This is like saying Ferarri is better than Toyota because the average Ferarri customer spends $500 000 and the Average Toyota Customer spends $30 000 per visit.

I find it interesting that the how much people are spending in Apple Stores is news, but all of the tech sites are skirting around Apple's CEO being called before a congressional committee about Apple's tax evasion strategies... Then again, considering how polarizing Apple opinions are, I guess that avoids the massive flame wars that could ensue...

Anyway, I'm pretty damned impressed that Apple can keep those sales numbers so high. Love them or hate them, it shows that their products sell, and (more relevantly) that they know how to present the products in a face-to-face environment. That last part is becoming a rare commodity these days, with online marketplaces and big "throw everything at them" box stores being the norm. It's almost a little retro touch of the mom & pop stores with personal attention, but with a slick boutique corporate slant.

So, just DON'T GO IN !

The stores smell funny, like not nice.

The shade of white hurts my eyes.

The Prozac fed staff are disturbing to say the least.

..and, Steve is dead.

What is their definition of a visitor. Is it everybody who walks through the door or is it paying customers?

Back