TechSpot

Apple's Touch ID fingerprint scanner has been hacked, group claims

By Shawn Knight
Sep 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A Berlin-based group of hackers claim they have successfully hacked the fingerprint reader on Apple’s new iPhone 5S just days after its release. The Chaos Computer Club (CCC) said fingerprints should not be used to secure anything as we leave...

Read more

2. OliTheG

OliTheG TS Member Posts: 61   +25

Hey, so remember when I said about 4 days ago that it would be cracked the same way the Mythbusters got into a fingerprint door; by taking a mould of the fingerprint and putting it over a living finger, people laughed at me?

AHAHHAHAHA. I hate to say I told you so, but [​IMG]

3. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +152

Fingerprint locks are indeed useless. Not surprising in the least.

4. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 449   +81

So just like in every spy movie EVER where the "evil guy" makes a thin fake fingerprint on something else and just places it over his own finger... yeah saw that one coming.

5. Andysout

Andysout TS Rookie

Yes fingerprint readers are all like that... it's more of a feature to quickly log into my phone.

6. ...not useless, it's meant for getting the NSA all of our fingerprints...

7. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

A interesting suposition about them wanting our prints. Kinda funny if you think on it. Its a tiny shocking when you think how that fingerprint information could be used. If its not secure how many ppl would be able to use that information. Lets face it, if they murdered someone (the NSA) and they left a copy of your prints, could you prove your innocence??

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

I knew someone would use that method. Any finger print reader can be hacked nowadays.

9. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

apparently Apple did not watch that episode, hehe

10. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

Why is the guy in the video shaking like that?

TheDreams likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.