Applications Not Starting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP SP2

Problem:
Can only run applications by clicking on the data file associated with a program. If I try to run an application by clicking on the shortcut or directly on the EXE file I get the following message: (and the program does not run)

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

Steps leading to the error:
My wife booted up our PC and Adaware prompted her to block or permit "something", of course she didn't write anything down and blocked whatever it was. Since then I cannot run any applications by clicking on the shortcut or exe. Example...Excel will not run unless I double click on an XLS file. To get Firefox or Windows Explorer to open I need to double click on an HTM or HTML file.

I tried to run system restore to try to fix this problem but it will not run, same message. I can't run REGEDIT or even CMD. Some things do run; My Network, Recycle Bin, and My Computer. Control Panel will open but I get the same message when I tried to run any items in Control Panel.

I can right click on the Start button and run Explorer to look at the Folder Options but how would one associate an EXE file in Folder Options?

This is very frustrating, any ideas for me to try?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Tedster, it does sound like a malware problem.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread. If you can of course.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

if you run a test and still dont find anything wrong, go to start, run, Msconfig, then go to start up, disable anything recently added or all, then go to services, click hide microsoft services.. then disable all.. then go to the Boot.ini and click safe boot/with network restart your computer in safemode.. see if the applications run... They do then restart comp and get out of safe mode ..
Start all you known services..(anti-virus, anti0spyware) and see which one is actually preventing it.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I cannot run any anti-virus or anti-spyware software, I get the same message as noted in my first post. I am at work and will try some of your suggestions when I get hjome. I doubt I will be able to run MSCONFIG as CMD and REGEDIT produce the same error.

If I can figure out a way to backup my data (9000+ photos & 12 GB's of songs) I will wipe the PC clean and re-install the OS. I would rather have root canal done instead of having to do this but thats life, eh!?

Thanks again for your help, folks.

If you can`t download, run and post a HJT log, then you`ll need to consider a reformat of your hard drive.

In order to backup your important data, you`ll need do the following.

Take out your hard drive and install it as a slave drive in another computer(possibly a friends if you don`t have access to another system), then backup your data and replace the drive into your system. Reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back