Appropriate cpu for this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I have an
ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115

and a 8600 gs vid card along with 2gb of ddr2 and a 3.33ghz celeron d processor...

Now I just configured this setup and due to my lack of knowledge I did not realize how poor the celerons performance would be while playing games.

I would like to replace it with a nicer processor
what would you guys reccomend?

so far I am feeling this one newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116196

PS sorry I cannot make the links clickable the post limiter will not allow me to post links in my posts

what is your price range for the cpu?

also to make a link clickable, dont worry about the tools when writing your posts, just copy and paste the link

like this : https://www.techspot.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=560331

just make sure it has "http://www." in it before the actual address.

also, after seeing the cpu you posted a link to, your really going to want a dual core not a single core.

try this one out for size, its not too expensive http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3241559

but there are better choices if you can add $50-75 bucks past the 129.

I do copy and paste, the forums wont let me, they will now though becuase this is my 3rd post.
125ish is a good price.
i hope your next response is as quick as your last
I was just looking at those because they featured HYPER-threading technology, which my motherboard also features

Is the one you suggested still a good fit?

BPAIN said:
okay now do you sweaaaaaaaar it is compatible with my mobo?

yup, both are LGA 775 (your motherboard is socket 775 and the cpu fits in socket 775) ;0

after checking out quite a few dual core chips from intel, i didnt see any hyper-threading tech. being used in the new dual and quad core cpu's.
there may be some being made, but i didnt see any in the 100-200 dollar price range.

my current cpu is single core clocked at 2.7+ghz after a small overclock, and im pretty sure any 2.0ghz dual core would eat it alive.

get the dual core ;)

I'd recommend getting an E2180 instead and OCing it to 3GHz. It'll give you performance equal to that of a more expensive Core 2 Extreme chip for less than $100. You can spend the leftover cash you saved on something like a new cooler for the CPU if you want.

tastegw said:
i didnt see anywhere on the one i posted about being hyper threaded, but it is dual core meaning it should outperform the single core you posted.

None of the current dual cores has hyper-threading. This was implemented (in an attempt) to make a single core work like a dual core CPU. Intel's current line-up of CPUs distinguishes one from the other by; cache size (cheaper smaller), speed (cheaper slower), and virtualization, which only the E6xxx series allow. The E2xxx and E4xxx series have the slower 800Mhz FSBs.

As Rage pointed out, the E2180 is a great choice, since it will run on older BIOS versions than the slightly faster E2200, and you save about $15.00 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back