TechSpot

Apps slow on first load

By djforeman
May 28, 2005
  1. Hi,
    Hope someone out there has some ideas for me.
    All of my apps seem to take a LONG time to load the FIRST TIME I load them. (About 8 seconds for Word, Excel, Outlook, Perfectdisk, Firefox, IE, etc.). After that, they load very quickly.

I recently built a new machine: ASUS P4P800E mobo, P4 3.0E, Seagate SATA 80GB drive (NOT RAID), 512 (256*2) MB PC3200 RAM, ATI 9600XT graphics. Also have a WD 80 GB ATA-133 drive on Promise adapter card for backups.

XP2 Pro was succesfully loaded and am running w/SP2. Norton Internet Sec (autoprotect excluded for MS Office), anti-spam off. MS Anti-spyware beta.

I am comparing this to my work machine: 80 GB IDE drive, McAfee Security, 512 MB RAM. Programs always load quickly there.

Any hints as to why it's only slow on first load? How can I be sure Windows knows I have a SATA drive and is not doing some kind of emulation?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

The name of your 'sinner' is: (surprise, surprise!) the Norton/Symantec bloatware.
    Dump that and get AVG free from http://free.grisoft.com and a free firewall from http://soho.sygate.com
    You'll be pleasantly surprised at their small 'footprints'.

3. djforeman

djforeman TS Rookie Topic Starter

That's what I suspected. I'll give it a try.

What about the SATA drive part of my post?

4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

You could also look into defragging your drive... Just using the regular defrag in windows should help some, and you can get even more speed by using a better program to optimize for certain (often used) programs...

I did a lot of defragging when I sat up my last system, and was very pleased with the result... Do a search for defragging programs and see which fits you best, both feature and price wise..

5. djforeman

apps slow to load first time

I've done a "smart defrag" with Perfect DIsk, removed ALL Symantec (Norton) programs, installed Grisoft's AVG. Apps STILL load slow ONLY THE FIRST TIME, same as before. Still looking for hints. :confused:

PS. How can I tell if WInXP knows I have a SATA drive?

6. RealBlackStuff

7. djforeman

apps still slow to load

:( I turned off indexing and all other services I know I can live without. No luck. Still slow. I am comparing the performance to an identical machine load on a slightly slower CPU (2.6 vs 3.0GHz), with only IDE drives, which outperforms this one on first-loads. Any more hints?

8. RealBlackStuff

Is DMA enabled?

Your work-PC probably runs 24/7 and the home-PC only as and when needed.
    So the work-PC has the advantage, perhaps with a fully 'stocked' prefetch area?
    Do you have many icons on your desktop? Get rid of the seldom-used ones.
    Try setting the PC optimized for applications in System/Properties/Advanced/Performance.
    Check the pagefile-size (1.5 x memory-size or max 4GB.)

9. djforeman

apps still slow to load first time

Hi Realblackstuff,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    >>yes, work-PC runs 24/7, but home-PC is on 7AM-11PM daily.
    So the work-PC has the advantage, perhaps with a fully 'stocked' prefetch area?
    >>Possible. Can this be tweaked?

>>Do you have many icons on your desktop? Get rid of the seldom-used ones.
    >> use almost all every other day

Try setting the PC optimized for applications in System/Properties/Advanced/Performance.
    >> Already done

Check the pagefile-size
    >> 1.5* RAM= 1.5 * 512 = 786MB

10. RealBlackStuff

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.