Are Gates and Ballmer scaring off potential CEO candidates at Microsoft?

By Shawn Knight
Jan 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Despite the fact that Microsoft said they might not select a new CEO until this summer, several board members hoped Steve Ballmer’s successor would have been named by December at the latest. We’re still waiting for Redmond to name their...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,883   +351

If balmer was making the face at me that he was on the techspot homepage, id be scared off too.
    Tekkaraiden likes this.
  3. Dimitriid

Dimitriid Newcomer, in training

Be nice, he's just exited about developers!
    youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE
    ikesmasher likes this.
  4. Bubbajim

Bubbajim Newcomer, in training Posts: 49   +11

Seems the writers at the Wall Street Journal have been watching the latest South Parks!
  5. Prosercunus

Prosercunus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117   +9

Classic media. Propose the statement as a question to avoid responsibility and with a corresponding picture that leads the reader for good measure. :)
  6. As Bill Gates had said "Microsoft is always two years away from failure”. So I think they are in the schedule. :)
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,815   +884

8. SirGCal

SirGCal TechSpot Member Posts: 86   +21

I'd have to agree... I think having them around could be very limiting to a new would-be CEO. Say someone comes in and really wants to fix things. Address the concerns with Xbox and get the love for Windows 9 back to where it was for 7 for both admins and users alike. I have a feeling Balmer would be 'all over that'. Bill might actually giggle a bit and enjoy the new vision but I don't see Balmer that way AT ALL. Maybe that's just me.
  9. If the HP board had been more limiting, maybe HP would have had less problems.
  10. "According to a new report from the Wall Street Journal, current board members may be scaring off potential candidates. And it makes sense when you stop and think about it."

Only makes sense if you aren't at that level. Any CEO picked to run a company that big (and that is a VERY small talent pool) is not going to flinch about having to spar with former CEO's. If they do, they don't belong in the first place. Big deal even if you do get fired as you are already a multi-millionaire and probably will have job offers lining up. Geez, talk about a sensationalist article.

11. Teko03

Teko03 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 114   +25

Kind of my exact thoughts. I don't think any one qualified or at such a career level is intimidated by ANYONE.

12. jester376

jester376 TechSpot Member Posts: 53

Well, you really cant blame Gates if he wants a good CEO and gives the candidates a hard time. If you spent half your life building a multi-billion dollar company, you'd want a good CEO too. Just because you've been a CEO or have lots of achievements doesnt make you a good candidate, there are alot of bad CEOs. Besides, I'm sure by the time Gates wants to see the company he built last a very long time afters hes dead in the grave.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.