TechSpot

Are gigabyte motherboards compatible with linux distributions?

By pmyint
Feb 20, 2008
  1. Are gigabyte motherboards compatible with linux distributions? I'm looking to install Linux and was also wondering which is the best distribution.

Thanks

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Yes they are, but check their download site before you go ahead, to be sure all the drivers you need are available in a linux format.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Linux supports a very, very large range of PC hardware. Just pick a distro and install. I'd be more worried out getting other hardware like fancy sound cards, webcams, etc to work to be honest.

4. freemont

freemont TS Rookie Posts: 20

I recommend you try a live cd. If your computer boots to the live cd and everything works, you can be pretty comfortable that everything will work with Linux installed.

Ubuntu is very popular, with good reason I think. You boot to the cd, and after it's up there's an option to install to hdd.

I personally use Mandriva, and there is a live version available for download.

Ubuntu is Debian-based and uses Gnome by default; Mandriva is RedHat-based and uses KDE by default. Comparing the two will give you a good contrast of the major flavors of Linux.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

Ubuntu is what I use and recommend. Also, try Knoppix, I've heard some good things about it.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

seeking clarification ...

a motherboard per se is not gigabyte; the ethernet adapter might be OR the installed
    memory, but a MB has no such characteristic :)

so --- what are we discussing ?

edit: oops
    I just discovered gigabyte is a brand name :blush:
    /edit:

7. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Huh?
    www.giga-byte.com
    Building top five, or certainly top 10 motherboards of the past 8 years. Recently getting some of the top reviews in CPU and Toms Hardware...

8. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 TS Rookie Posts: 70

THG? <shudders>

Gigabyte still has the same old problems they always did. I've read of people thrilled with their P35 Gigabyte purchases only to come back a month later with complaints.

Anyway, that's besides the point. No real need to get drivers from Gigabyte. I'd go with the chipset manufacturer drivers, such as directly from Intel, etc. I didn't go to Abit for my drivers at all. I got from Broadcom, Intel and Realtek directly.

9. mercjoe

mercjoe TS Rookie Posts: 20

Sure they are..., especially if its not an old one.

Check the chosen distro site, search for your board's model and/or chipsets.
    The best distro for you depends on what are you gonna use your OS/PC for...

If you are a professional looking to train yourself on Linux for a production environment etc, get Debian, Centos, Suse.
    Or even you may want to try with BSD (non linux, still unix like systems)..., FreeBSD or OpenBSD the best choices.

If you are not a pro and just want to mess around get Ubuntu or Fedora.

Good luck.
    D.

10. austincpdist

austincpdist TS Rookie

Yeah they are and the best bet would be to get your drivers from the disc that came with the freaking motherboard. Or just directly like others have said. And with the other guy, i'd go with BSD rather than Ubuntu or other linux. They really are better, very stable. And the gui is awesome.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.