Are laptop CPU sockets proprietary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I have a Compaq C300 laptop with Celeron M socket 478. I got a Centrino socket 478 to upgrade but the socket on the laptop mobo is missing one hole in a corner so the new chip wont fit. This is my first laptop and Ive never heard of anything like this. Compaqs site is no help.

The CPU may not be upgradeable. Are you sure the HP/Compaq site has no info on CPU ugrades for your model?

Compaq C300 CTO
Compaq C300 EA
Compaq C300 EU

I checked the site and no CPU upgrade info is there. The CPU/socket is most likely proprietary

I assumed since both processors are socket 478 that the Centrino would be a drop in. I couldnt find any info on HPs site about upgrades and when I contacted tech support they would only say that "HP does not reccomend upgradation the processor". Their exact words.

You could try and remove the pin from the new CPU and see if it will fit the socket and work...

Yes, and if it doesn't work, then he won't be able to return it :(

Very true cfitzarl,
I have seen this trick work in other laptops, but it does tend to scare most away from changing a CPU doesn't it :)

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

EDIT: It appars you have a socket 478 cpu and a socket 479 motherboard. You will need to get a socket 479 CPU (actually has 478 pins but they are alinged differently.)

Here's a link showing the difference between these two socket types: http://reviews.ebay.com/Intel-apos-s-479-Socket-Explained-and-Compared-to-the-478_W0QQugidZ10000000000074521

There is no such thing as a propriatary CPU socket except for embeded (soldered in) chips since all computer manufactures must comply to the CPU makers standard sockets.

Not to mention that it would be impossible to get any CPUs for your proprietary custom CPU socket ;)

dmill89 said:
The CPU is likely a socket 479. (Actually has 478 pins but they are alinged differently [most noticable in the corner with the arrow]than a standard socket 478). The socket 479 is an old intel mobile socket used for the Pentium M.Your laptop will need a standard socket 478 cpu.Your option will be limited to the older celeron M and Pentium 4 M.
Here's a link showing the difference between these two socket types: http://reviews.ebay.com/Intel-apos-s-479-Socket-Explained-and-Compared-to-the-478_W0QQugidZ10000000000074521

There is no such thing as a propriatary CPU socket except for embeded (soldered in) chips since all computer manufactures must comply to the CPU makers standard sockets.

Thanks dmill89,
this clears up a lot...

Now Im ven more confused. I checked HPs site for a replacement Celeron M and they say its a socket 479.

dmill89 said:
The CPU is likely a socket 479. (Actually has 478 pins but they are alinged differently [most noticable in the corner with the arrow]than a standard socket 478). The socket 479 is an old intel mobile socket used for the Pentium M.Your laptop will need a standard socket 478 cpu.Your option will be limited to the older celeron M and Pentium 4 M.

Well, if it's a socket 479, different from 478, why would it need a "standard socket 478 CPU" ?

Any Celeron M or P4M, socket 479, should work (if they're not too fast for the mainboard).

vegasgmc said:
Now Im ven more confused. I checked HPs site for a replacement Celeron M and they say its a socket 479.

Just trade your recently purchased 478 CPU for the HP recommended Celeron M 479 CPU

Sorry I was under the asumption you were trying to put a 479 into a 478 from the previous description. It now appears that you were trying to put a 478 into a 479. As others have suggested you should get a socket 479 cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back