TechSpot

ARRRRGGGHH RAM & FSB Speeds !!!!!

By DonmiesterJack
May 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HI all

This is my first post on this site so please be nice :)

Specs
    MOBO = Gigabyte Quad Royal Nforce 4 SLI X16
    CPU = P4 630 3.0 GHz 800FSB with HT
    RAM = 2x1Gb DDR2 5300 (667)
    GPU = Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E

My CPU has a FSB of 800Mhz which I know means I have a real clock speed of 200Mhz as the Intel P4 send x4 clocks per cycle.

My RAM is DDR2 667 which means it has a real clock speed of 333 MHz.

My problems started when I decided to check whether my RAM MHz was actually running at 667 (real 333) or if the real 200MHz speed of the CPU was pulling the real ram speed back to 200MHz

I installed CPU-z and it reports that my RAM is running at 166 MHz which I assume is doubled up to a total of 333!!!

I have tried changing the RAM speed in the BIOS but it says it is already at 667 which must mean 333 real.
    Also Gigabytes windows based program called easy tune also says the RAM is running at 667!

It is all very confusing and on top of this when I set the RAM modules up in DUAL mode for dual bandwidth the system crashes.

However my real question centres on the RAM speeds - based on my specs above does anyone see any reason why my RAM is not running at 333 MHz (667)

Perhaps there is another program to test Ram speeds out there?

Please help - thanks in advance
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think DDR-II operates a bit like the Pentium 4 FSB. For each clock cycle, it can compute up to 4 memory read/writes so it performs as if it were running 4 times faster. I would believe this means 166MHz -> 333MHz DDR-I -> 667MHz DDR-II.

You can read up on articles explaining how DDR-II works to make sure. I'm at work so there's now way I will do that research for you. *cough*Google*cough* ;)
  3. DonmiesterJack

DonmiesterJack TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks very much for the answer

I have looked into this and there is a type of RAM that is X4 it is called QDR DRAM

DDR2 still send two !!

Any other ideas - is it possible I just have RAM that is no good ?
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I believe that explains it all.
  5. DonmiesterJack

DonmiesterJack TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for finding that for me

This forum rules - Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.