Article on Alienware

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearjammer

just a thought but by the time we spend more money on what we have wouldit be better to sink it into a machine like Alienware. I just read Paul's review. Sounds and looks awesome and the price is somewhat compatible with machines I have seen around here. I am not a tech person but howlong would a machine like alienware review last in this technology..would it need upgrades the day i purchased it. I would not be able to leave it to go to work to pay for it.. :grinthumb Opinions on the article and the machine! As stated my son wants a machine and he has the money to freely spend on this kind of machine but he is not computer savy. Maybe I should trade him...

Do you happen to know the model that the article describes? I believe there are several different levels of performance (cost) :darth:

The top Alienware machine coasts approx 5500 US. Compare that to the approximately 3500-4000 you could build it for. Why pay 1500 for the logo.

s3xynanigoat said:
Why pay 1500 for the logo.
Warranty, tech support, guarenteed compatability of hardware, elitism. Is it worth the price? Thats something for the potential buyer to decide.

It's easy. If you thing you can solve the usual problems that a computer offers then by the cheaper one. If you have some doubts about some things a computer might cook then it´s better to buy the one with the warranty, etc. etc. etc...

Like SNGX1275 said "Thats something for the potential buyer to decide."
:blush:

Agreed, the superb tech support offered at alienware is a perk for spending the extra dough. I am not being at all sarcastic. I have read many good things about their support.

As to the posters original question.
Every thing you buy now will be out of date eventually. I would expect the top of the line alienware built machine would perform well on the games coming out for the next 2 to 3 years, possibly into the 5th year.

Alienware Desktops are some of the best around. They have all the perks of building your own custom system from creme-de-la-crop parts.

Of course, for their selection, assembly and support- you pay a premium. This makes them a bit pricey for most extremely knowledgeable PC people as we can build basically the same systems and save some $$, less the added support.

That being said- Alienware is my most highest recommend PC builder as their systems are open-ended, expandable and come in a variety of price brackets. Their support is wonderful as some people I've recommended will attest. (Call to their 1-800 number has almost always resulted in a fed-ex pack with a new component same-day). So if you're not a pro-PC builder and not trying to save a few bucks- Alienware is the one.

I'd also mention their laptops are extremely well built. We got a top-of the line Area 51m mobile laptop over 2 years ago and it runs great. It had the DVD burner go on it, but their support did send a new one right away. It's also nice how most of their high-end laptops also have desktop CPU's and UPGRADEABLE videocards. This is a nice perk.

Have you heard of vision man..? they look similar. I was talking about a barebones machine packagew in another forum? and ? raised as to what that is. It is everything you need at a level you want without the hardware, video and peripherals which you add. That might be a way to go for building. They are offered by vision man. :eek:

Yeah alien is nice but you lose out on building your own system. You lose out on learning. This is not an option, at least to me.

My view on alienware systems, are for the rich, noob gamers, people that don't know squat about computers.
less the added support
I know my computer in and out. I think most people that are experianced with computers know how to manage them, and repair, upgrade, ect ect.

Sean said:
My view on alienware systems, are for the rich, noob gamers, people that don't know squat about computers.

Sean - I think as time goes your point of view on this subject will change. Many people buy these prebuilt systems simply because they don't have the time to research/purchase/assemble a new machine. For a lot of people the desired result is a decent to great gaming machine without losing all the time required to build one.

Very true.

I use Falcon, Alien, and Voodoo to get ideas from. They test the parts for reliability and performance, and post the build sheets on their sites so we can clone them if we wish. They save us a lot of trial and error. I do the same for weapons, SEALs test weapons for reliability and I purchase accordingly.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back