TechSpot

ASAP help with browser difficulties after infection

By alibeeskier
Jan 3, 2008
  1. Hi- I'm heading back to graduate school in a few days and my internet won't work!!
    My wireless is connected, all my programs are able to update themselves, and I'm able to ping any website, but when I open firefox it loads to a blank screen (blank...no message) and when I open IE7 it loads to a screen with a "unable to connect (or something)" message.
    I've cleaned my computer extensively after infection with some trojans and malware; I followed the preliminary cleaning instructions on this site + I have SuperAntiSpyware loaded. I've got Avast as my main anti-viral. Every scan that I run now comes back clean. Attached is my HJT log, if it helps.
    Thank you thank you thank you!!
    Alex

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

I would use Add and Remove to delete Firefox, and the other stuff, then run CCleaner or PC-Decrapifier, then defragment, then reboot and reinstall the software you deleted.

3. alibeeskier

alibeeskier TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi and thanks for the reply...by other stuff do you mean IE7, or IE7+superantispyware+any other anti-malware etc programs (I've got SS&D, spyware blaster, avast, Spysweeper, AVG anti-spyware, ad-aware, ad-watch, Panda anti-rootkit, mcAfee)

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

you've got a browser hijacker in there and while you could uninstall/reinstall Firefox, IE is a nightmare to fully delete.

see this post for the process to clean your system

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.