Ashley Madison CEO Noel Biderman has left the company

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Ashley Madison CEO Noel Biderman has stepped down, parent company Avid Life Media revealed on Friday, following a devastating security breach last month.

Avid Life Media announced the departure in a brief press release earlier today, noting that the decision was mutual and that Biderman is no longer with the company effective immediately.

The parent company added that the change is in the best interest of the company and allows them to continue to provide support to both members and dedicated employees. Avid said they are working with law enforcement in an effort to help track down those responsible for the hack.

In the interim, Ashley Madison remains open to members and will be led by its existing senior management team until a new CEO is found.

What looked like a run-of-the-mill hack job early on has quickly evolved into one of the more high-profile and damning security breaches in recent history. The sensitive nature of Ashley Madison’s service alone was enough to capture headlines yet as the public combed through the data dump, an abundance of evidence suggests it was little more than a well-orchestrated scam to swindle money from its millions of male clientele.

One investigation led to the conclusion that there may have been as few as 12,000 active females on the site, a far cry from the 5.5 million female profiles.

Given the evidence against it as well as at least two lawsuits, one would think the service’s image has been tarnished beyond repair. I’ll personally be surprised if Avid doesn’t shut the site down in the near future.

Lead image courtesy Eugene Hoshiko, AP

Permalink to story.

I woulda thought the site would've been shut down by now and the CEO lead away in bracelets instead of just allowing him to walk.

I woulda thought the site would've been shut down by now and the CEO lead away in bracelets instead of just allowing him to walk.
What law did they break? As much as I don't condone what they did or the service they offer, cheating on your spouse isn't illegal and neither is helping someone to do it. I am sure in the fine print you agree to when you sign up it says you have no guarantee of "hooking up".

What law did they break? As much as I don't condone what they did or the service they offer, cheating on your spouse isn't illegal and neither is helping someone to do it. I am sure in the fine print you agree to when you sign up it says you have no guarantee of "hooking up".

The whole charging people money for deleting their personal info, and not actually doing anything after taking the money seems like it would break some law or should incur some legal penalty.

Actually, adultery is a crime in the US in 23 states: http://www.omgfacts.com/news/7555/Adultery-is-illegal-in-23-states-ab630-0 So, these people broke the law against adultery. In other parts of the world the penalties could be much harsher. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultery

Forgive me for saying so, but this was a trifle naive to simply assume there aren't, or weren't, any laws against adultery.

As I'm hoping you're aware, the civil side of the issue can yield favorable monetary settlements to a cuckolded spouse during divorce proceedings.

Actually, adultery is a crime in the US in 23 states: http://www.omgfacts.com/news/7555/Adultery-is-illegal-in-23-states-ab630-0 So, these people broke the law against adultery. In other parts of the world the penalties could be much harsher. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultery

Forgive me for saying so, but this was a trifle naive to simply assume there aren't, or weren't, any laws against adultery.

As I'm hoping you're aware, the civil side of the issue can yield favorable monetary settlements to a cuckolded spouse during divorce proceedings.

Was not aware of how many states it was, all I know is this "Even though adultery is illegal in 23 states, it is rarely ever enforced." quoted form the source you gave. The states I did know of that do enforce require inexcusable evidence, having your email on a list wouldn't be inexcusable evidence that you actually committed adultery.

Again I am not for the act of adultery (I am prob the least forgiving boyfriend in the world), nor do I like what Ashely Madison does, the point I was making was it's more on the users and not the company in the adultery side of the matter.

But I will say I forgot about the payment data erase stuff, that would definitely be breaking some laws, even if they are minor in certain areas. So thanks to Laithes for reminding me.

Was not aware of how many states it was, all I know is this "Even though adultery is illegal in 23 states, it is rarely ever enforced." quoted form the source you gave. The states I did know of that do enforce require inexcusable evidence, having your email on a list wouldn't be inexcusable evidence that you actually committed adultery....[ ]...
Agreed, those statutes are rarely enforced. I don't think you can walk down the street here in Philly without a lighted lantern. Although I suppose the screen of a smart phone could be passed off as a lantern in a pinch.

But, adultery can a does provoke honor killings or death by stoning, in other (ostensibly), civilized cultures.

In the decadent western super powers such as here in the US, all it costs you is your house, your kids, and 50% of everything else....:D

Although, in the not too terribly distant past, it was kind of hard to get a conviction even perhaps for murder, from a French jury when a, "crime passionelle", was on the docket.

The whole charging people money for deleting their personal info, and not actually doing anything after taking the money seems like it would break some law or should incur some legal penalty.
Unfortunately adultery isn't considered a crime in 'most democratic' countries so there isn't anything the authorities can really do.
Hopefully this birdbrain has a bit of a conscience so he can reflect on the lives he was so instrumental in helping shatter for the sake of money... but I have my doubts.

No. As far as I know they didn't break the law (as far as I know) but what they did was despicable. These are people without any scruples and unfortunately they'll all probably walk... much to most peoples disgust.

Was not aware of how many states it was, all I know is this "Even though adultery is illegal in 23 states, it is rarely ever enforced." quoted form the source you gave. The states I did know of that do enforce require inexcusable evidence, having your email on a list wouldn't be inexcusable evidence that you actually committed adultery....[ ]...
Agreed, those statutes are rarely enforced. I don't think you can walk down the street here in Philly without a lighted lantern. Although I suppose the screen of a smart phone could be passed off as a lantern in a pinch.

But, adultery can a does provoke honor killings or death by stoning, in other (ostensibly), civilized cultures.

In the decadent western super powers such as here in the US, all it costs you is your house, your kids, and 50% of everything else....:D

Although, in the not too terribly distant past, it was kind of hard to get a conviction even perhaps for murder, from a French jury when a, "crime passionelle", was on the docket.
Technically it can cost you even less. There are some states, like mine, where the only thing that can really be fought over is the kids. If your spouses name is not on the house they can't have it, the cars they can't have them, the bank accounts they can't touch.

Technically it can cost you even less. There are some states, like mine, where the only thing that can really be fought over is the kids. If your spouses name is not on the house they can't have it, the cars they can't have them, the bank accounts they can't touch.
Yeah but, I'm sure ownership of the dog is still ...,er.....well, "a bone of contention".

(I should be engulfed in self loathing and consumed by shame for a pun that bad. Yet, I feel nothing, to perhaps trending towards a trace bit smug) :cool:

In other words... if you're going to get married, do so in Montana.

Coward....

When your own incompetence destroys the business you head, it is customary to step down. What's he supposed to do, run the company into the ground twice?

When your own incompetence destroys the business you head, it is customary to step down. What's he supposed to do, run the company into the ground twice?
In this case, absolutely! A shady business managing shady people. Why kick the CEO for being shady? He is only playing the part.

Back