Ashley Madison owners hit with $578 million class-action lawsuit following data leak

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fallout from the high-profile hack of extramarital dating website Ashley Madison is showing no signs of slowing down. A pair of Canadian law firms has filed a $578 million class-action lawsuit against the site’s owners, Avid Dating Life Inc. and Avid Life Media Inc.

Ontario-based Charney Lawyers and Sutts, Strosberg LLP filed the suit on behalf of Eliot Shore who said he joined the site for a brief time after his wife lost her battle with breast cancer. Shore maintains he never used the site to cheat and didn’t even meet up with any other members of Ashley Madison.

The law firms say the suit was filed on behalf of Canadians that joined the site whose personal information has since been leaked.

Ashley Madison didn’t immediately respond to a request from the Associated Press for comment. The site has said that the leaked user data doesn’t prove the infidelity of its members.

An earlier lawsuit on behalf of an unnamed female plaintiff takes issue with the site’s “paid-delete” feature that promised to wipe out all records of use for $19. Many users that paid for the delete feature have, as a result of the hack and subsequent data dumps, learned that their personal information was never scrubbed from the site’s database.

Members of a hacking group calling themselves The Impact Team infiltrated the site last month and made away with personal information from as many as 37 million members. The attackers said the paid-delete service was their motive for the attack, claiming the company was scamming users by taking their money for the service without actually deleting their records as promised.

Permalink to story.

Out of all data leaks, has there ever been a lawsuit this high? I'm finding this very entertaining.

YES..That's because the best defense is a good offence..err..attack.
Just shows how many were using the website/service that have the means to pull off this kind of lawsuit.

"The site has said that the leaked user data doesn't prove the infidelity of its members".
I call BS on that. Why on earth would you sign up with your credit card no. if you had no intention of making use of it's demeaning service. That's like buying a bicycle without a saddle.
I hope they take the site owners to the cleaners so badly that they'll have to carry a tin cup around with them, after reflecting upon the the lives they've torn apart once they've completed a 15 year sojourn in the joint.

"The site has said that the leaked user data doesn't prove the infidelity of its members".
I call BS on that. Why on earth would you sign up with your credit card no. if you had no intention of making use of it's demeaning service. That's like buying a bicycle without a saddle.
I hope they take the site owners to the cleaners so badly that they'll have to carry a tin cup around with them, after reflecting upon the the lives they've torn apart once they've completed a 15 year sojourn in the joint.

They saw a business potential to make money and the filth signed up to it. They should have run a stronger security however the hate is not needed. You either find a business venue that works or you stay working for someone. They haven't torn **** up, a cheater would be a cheater regardless.

They saw a business potential to make money and the filth signed up to it. They should have run a stronger security however the hate is not needed. You either find a business venue that works or you stay working for someone. They haven't torn **** up, a cheater would be a cheater regardless.
Unfortunately the world is full of filthy, unscrupulous people out to make a fast buck of the backs of others misery and suffering. It's not condoned but it is reality and there will be 20 more sites like Ashley Madison to fill the void it leaves when it goes belly up.

Unfortunately the world is full of filthy, unscrupulous people out to make a fast buck of the backs of others misery and suffering. It's not condoned but it is reality and there will be 20 more sites like Ashley Madison to fill the void it leaves when it goes belly up.

It's a website service. I doubt their plan was to make a "quick-buck" but rather stay and profit for as long as possible (just like any business). Hell I wouldn't be surprised if users without partners were on that site too just to get some.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

I surely don't condone cheating, but putting the developers in the same basket as the actual cheaters on the site... Eh ...

LMFAO! someone hacks the website, steals and leaks the data and THEN the person who was robbed gets sued? ABSOLUTELY FRIGGIN HILARIOUS! there's is a lesson to be learned here. don't be a wh0re/man **** and don't promote it. karma is a true gem.

LMFAO! someone hacks the website, steals and leaks the data and THEN the person who was robbed gets sued? ABSOLUTELY FRIGGIN HILARIOUS! there's is a lesson to be learned here. don't be a wh0re/man **** and don't promote it. karma is a true gem.
They are getting sued like most any company would (or should) since their whole reason for being is to provide a service while keeping the users data safe. They did not keep the data safe not only that but they were so uncaring about the data that almost all the info was in plain text and that is why they are being sued. When you provide a service and take in private information you are expected to keep that information safe, you fail in that and people will be pissed.

Hope that site goes bye bye...anyone cheating on a wife, girlfriend deserves to be
taken out.

They are getting sued like most any company would (or should) since their whole reason for being is to provide a service while keeping the users data safe. They did not keep the data safe not only that but they were so uncaring about the data that almost all the info was in plain text and that is why they are being sued. When you provide a service and take in private information you are expected to keep that information safe, you fail in that and people will be pissed.
well lets say this. most companies claim to keep data safe because they have some sort of antivirus or strong hardware firewall or something else going for them. shouldn't the companies that are supposedly protecting their computers from being hacked in the first place be in some sort of trouble? like if I pay 60 bones a year for an internet security suite that has the best malware blocking or hacker detection according maybe.... av comparatives or something and I get hacked while using said software, that company should be held a little bit accountable right? thats like 5 cops standing in front of you with guns drawn protecting you and 1 gang member still manages to unload a full clip into you. those cops should be a little responsible because they completely failed ya?

Hope that site goes bye bye...anyone cheating on a wife, girlfriend deserves to be
taken out.
I like how u didn't mention husband or boyfriend lol. someone sounds sexist. screw guys right? yea they're just dumb animals who only think with their weiners. it REALLY sounds like you don't mind women spreading their legs for anyone with that sentence. seriously.....

Back