Aspire 5535 power issue

fimbles

My friend gave me his Acer aspire 5535 laptop to do a fresh install of windows on as it was running very slowly. The laptop has recently been repaired by a local shop after a only showing a black screen on power on, And has been working fine ( but slowly) for 2 weeks. Diagnosis was graphics card.

So i insert the acer restore disk, and things go normally until the laptop has to restart itself during install, Restarts normaly but during the spash screen it makes an audible click and powers off instantly, power leads in, battery has charge too.

Trying to power on the laptop again just results in the same click and instant off.

So i give it 5 mins to cool down and try again, it works again. No problems, even restarts with no issues, Then some 2 hours later after installing updates it restarts and does it power off trick again. Now im confused.....

I give it 5 more mins and power on again, And try to run prime 95 to see if its an overheating issue with the cpu, Cpu reaches a toasty yet stable 74c under full load, and is quite happy for 20 mins.

I replace the hard drive with a working one i have spare, Powering on the laptop i get to the windows splash screen, the the click and instant off.....

I am really confused as the laptop seems to run quite happily for several hours, until after a restart, then its pot luck. I have also noted that it will also instant power off even if you enter the bios and stay there during boot up.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

What is the condition of the battery? Will the laptop shut down with the battery removed? That audible "click" could be a failing internal fan. Open up the laptop and make sure that the fans are clean and that they move freely

Back